The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What is a Will Book?

Andy W

Hi All,

I have a copy of a letter from my gran to the Ministry of War dated March 1918 stating that she had received her (late) husband's Will Book from the War Office, South Kensington - he was in the RFA.

I have searched for Will Book's on the net and this site without success and wondered whether anyone out there could shed some light on the matter. I can guess what it was, but wondered whether there are more details or even examples out there somewhere.

Many thanks

Andy W

Hi Andy

I haven't heard of a Will Book as such, however soldiers did have a small pay book that had a page in it that had the title "Will." This was meant to be signed and dated before they went into battle. Maybe this is what is being referred to.

Regards

LIT

Hi LIT,

Thanks for that. The letter actually says: 'I received my husband's Will Book from the War Office South Kensington last week and they say in the letter that should there be any personal effects belonging to my huisband that they will forward them to me'. So if the War Office passed on the pay books of deceased serviceman to their family you may well have found the answer. Many thanks.

Andy W