The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

H.M.S. Emperor of India

2lewis's

Hi,

In going through some family records we turned up a thank you note to my Great Great granmother from the Captain of HMS Emperor of India thanking her for gifts sent to the ship.

Does anyone know any details of this ship.

I would be grateful for any information form you chaps.

Many thanks

Mark

Thanks Dave,

Spot on! Particularly liked the photo taken in Barrow as she lived there and so establishes the link.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark,

Just picked up on yr post - "HMS Emperor of India".

Dont know if this would be of interest to you but I have an very nice clear large group photo of the Torpedo dept of this ship. It appears to be the wedding of the Torpedo Officer, & I am assuming the group is the Torpedo staff, as they all wear Torpedoman ratings badges. I will try to attach a scan of the photo - unfortunately I cannot get it all on my scanner - the men on the ends are missing. There are 26 men plus the bride & groom. The photo has "HMS Emperor of India" in the left hand corner. It likely cannot be seen in the photo reproduction, but the cap ribbons are clearly visible in a couple of the men seated in the front row.

What is very interesting (I find) is the fact that most of the men are wearing the newly issued 1914-15 stars, so I think this would date the photo around 1920 or thereabouts. Perhaps the same time frame as your 'thank you' note?

I dont know the Torpedo officer's name but a check in the Navy List of that period would reveal that.

Bryan

post-24-1085428445.jpg

Thanks Bryan,

Very interesting photo. Thankyou for the info.

The thankyou note to my Great Grandmother is dated 1914, I think about October time, the note is from the Captain.

Very interesting story too.

Cheers

Mark

Thats interesting Mark, the photo I have submitted would be at least 7 or so yrs later than that.

Unfortunately I dont have any names for this photo - sure wish I did!

Bryan