The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Thoughts on "The War Come Home" by Deborah Cohen

sassoon

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and, if so, what were your thoughts on it. This area of the post-war period greatly interests me as I'm more of a social historian than a military one.

Thanks for your input.

• 2 months later...

Hello Sassoon

Have you got round to reading this book yet?

I am trying to find references to how blind Great War veterans were treated, and also details of how wound gratuities and pensions systems worked for the veterans. Does this 'The War Comes Home' cover these topics ?

Regards

Michael

Hello folks,

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and, if so, what were your thoughts on it. This area of the post-war period greatly interests me as I'm more of a social historian than a military one.

Thanks for your input.

• 3 months later...

Hello Michael,

I'm afraid I've come across your reply rather late. Just wanted to let you know that this book does cover how blind veterans were treated, but it doesn't go into any great depth. The one group of disabled veterans it does tend to focus on more than any other are those that were missing one or more limbs (in other words, those who were severely wounded).

Will send you a PM in case you don't see this. Sorry for the delay.

Michael

One very good insight into the life of blind ex-servicemen is 'My Story of St. Dunstan's' by Ian Fraser (Baron Fraser of Lonsdale). It was recommended to me recently and I found it very inspiring and of course a lot of Sussex interest. Fraser was a Captain in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry when he was blinded in France in July 1916 at the age of 19, and returned initially to No.2 London General Hospital before going to St. Dunstan's. He became so involved that he took over as Chairman on the death of Sir Arthur Pearson five years later, and held that post for fifty-two years. A book that I'm very glad I read.

Sue

Edited by Sue Light

Thank you for your message Sassoon. Will try and get hold of this book then, but maybe from the library, rather than buying it. I was also surprised at the lack of coverage of blind veterans in 'Before My Helpless Sight-Suffering, Dying and Military Medicine on the Western Front, 1914-1918'' by Leon Van Bergen, in spite of the title. Regards, Michael Bully

Hello Michael,

I'm afraid I've come across your reply rather late. Just wanted to let you know that this book does cover how blind veterans were treated, but it doesn't go into any great depth. The one group of disabled veterans it does tend to focus on more than any other are those that were missing one or more limbs (in other words, those who were severely wounded).

Will send you a PM in case you don't see this. Sorry for the delay.

Hi Sue, your help is appreciated as always. I have ordered a copy via Amazon straight away. Regards Michael Bully

Michael

One very good insight into the life of blind ex-servicemen is 'My Story of St. Dunstan's' by Ian Fraser (Baron Fraser of Lonsdale). It was recommended to me recently and I found it very inspiring and of course a lot of Sussex interest. Pearson was a Captain in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry when he was blinded in France in July 1916 at the age of 19, and returned initially to No.2 London General Hospital before going to St. Dunstan's. He became so involved that he took over as Chairman on the death of Sir Arthur Pearson five years later, and held that post for fifty-two years. A book that I'm very glad I read.

Sue

Michael: in the meantime, if there is anything you want to know from the book, I can look it up for you. Despite the lack of focus on blind veterans, I do think it's a good investment for anyone interested in the aftermath of the War and how disabled veterans were treated in Britain and Germany.

That's a kind offer, thank you.

What I have been trying to find out is what type of pension-and amount of pension a blind veteran would be paid in Britain and how this compares with Germany. Also the number of blind veterans in Britain.

And finally, are there cases of blind veterans being awarded a 'War Gratuity' payment and were all ranks entitled to claim a 'War Gratuity' payment?

Much appreciated

Michael

Michael: in the meantime, if there is anything you want to know from the book, I can look it up for you. Despite the lack of focus on blind veterans, I do think it's a good investment for anyone interested in the aftermath of the War and how disabled veterans were treated in Britain and Germany.

Hi Michael,

Here is the information I was able to dig out from Cohen’s book:

A blind veteran (average private in the army) in Britain was entitled to a 100% pension, which amounted to 40 shillings per week. Mind you, if he married after the War he usually had to fight for an allowance for his wife and (if they had any) children.

Unfortunately, Cohen doesn’t give a figure for the number of blind ex servicemen. She also doesn’t mention a “war gratuity” for blind men (or for other ex servicemen).

Cohen also makes it clear that ex-servicemen were really at the mercy of volunteer organizations that were established to help them because the State simply did not do enough. The blinded ex serviceman did not receive much in the way of special treatment, but one privilege they were granted was that in London they were allowed to ride for free on public transportation (whereas all other veterans, even those without limbs had to pay).

If blind veterans were lucky enough to get jobs, they relied on organizations such as St. Dunstan’s Hostel to sell baskets and brooms that they could make at home. It wasn’t a priority of the British government to employ disabled ex serviceman, which is in sharp contrast to the Weimar Republic that did all they could to make sure their veterans had employment.

I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to help with some of your questions. I, too, wished she had broken it down more in terms of types of disabilities, etc. At any rate, hope some of this was helpful/useful.

That is very helpful, thanks.

I have a further question, if a blind ex-serviceman married, would he get an allowance for his wife ( or children) if she had some independent means herself or a job? Would his own pension be reduced? Was ithe pension means-tested or an automatic right? If you don't mind having another look at the Cohen book, that would be appreciated.

Very little seems to be written about 'war gratuities'. I have seen them mentioned in officers' war service records, but not in text books.

The book that Sue kindly recommended 'My Story of St. Dunstan's' by Ian Fraser (Baron Fraser of Lonsdale) has just arrived, which looks fascinating. St. Dunstan's seems to have functioned as a hostel where blind veterans could learn to adapt to the condition of blindness ( wherever possible) with the hope of one day returning to their families and of finding a job.

From what I have read, blindness was one condition that soldiers particularly dreaded.

With best wishes

Michael Bully

Hi Michael,

Here is the information I was able to dig out from Cohen's book:

A blind veteran (average private in the army) in Britain was entitled to a 100% pension, which amounted to 40 shillings per week. Mind you, if he married after the War he usually had to fight for an allowance for his wife and (if they had any) children.

Unfortunately, Cohen doesn't give a figure for the number of blind ex servicemen. She also doesn't mention a "war gratuity" for blind men (or for other ex servicemen).

Cohen also makes it clear that ex-servicemen were really at the mercy of volunteer organizations that were established to help them because the State simply did not do enough. The blinded ex serviceman did not receive much in the way of special treatment, but one privilege they were granted was that in London they were allowed to ride for free on public transportation (whereas all other veterans, even those without limbs had to pay).

If blind veterans were lucky enough to get jobs, they relied on organizations such as St. Dunstan's Hostel to sell baskets and brooms that they could make at home. It wasn't a priority of the British government to employ disabled ex serviceman, which is in sharp contrast to the Weimar Republic that did all they could to make sure their veterans had employment.

I'm sorry that I wasn't able to help with some of your questions. I, too, wished she had broken it down more in terms of types of disabilities, etc. At any rate, hope some of this was helpful/useful.

Hello Michael - sorry I did not see this message until now (it was a busy week!) I will get to this shortly.