The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

a very unusual book, please help me!

adamskilou

hi everybody.

i bought a selection of car boot things last summer off ebay and when i got it home i found this book.

the book is called war letters of harold rosher it was printed in september of 1916. this book has a name written

in the front 'Jack Hartley' in a unique style of writing. now this writing is continued on a number of pages

where he has underlined sections of the book and wrote things about what has happened to the people,

when he last saw them, if they have died or not and how.

this book is very old and so is the writing. it obviously belonged to a jack hartley who must have served in ww1.

can anyone help me i need to know what to do with the book. i am not sure if it is of special value or might

have information that needs keeping.

thanks alot everyone

louise

Welcome

I can only see one Harold Rosher in the Medal Index Cards -

355245 Act Sgt Harold Rosher Hampshire Regiment.

There are 6 Jack Hartley and non seem to be Hampshire's. It could be he is listed as John though. There are 229 John but one I noticed is - 356068 Pte John Hartley, Hampshire Regt (formerly 1591)

As Harold also has a 6 digit number, they may both have served in the TF or as Regulars.

Steve M

Could you post a scanned example of the unusual handwriting? I know of a man who lost his writing arm and was taught to write again with his other hand using a so-called half-uncial script - similar to the manuscript printing found in medieval manuscripts - which was thought to be especially suitable for someone writing slowly and deliberately.

its nothing like unusual writing in that sense, its normal joined up scruffy writing but it is what it say that might be of intresting.

i just wanted to know if the book had any importance to it having these notes.

i have found out a bit already about harold rosher but i though the book might hold some intregue for people who have a

strong intrest in ww1. i don't know what to do with it.

some of the quotes include

' was killed here on wed(then something can't make it out) machine crashed and cought fire, died of injuries sameday.

he is talking about a man called W.S.Stewart Flt. sub-lieut, R.N.

does this matter to people or not :wacko: im very confused.

Hello Louise and welcome to the forum

your little book sounds as if it would be of interest to some people here

cheers Martin B

its nothing like unusual writing in that sense, its normal joined up scruffy writing but it is what it say that might be of intresting.

i just wanted to know if the book had any importance to it having these notes.

i have found out a bit already about harold rosher but i though the book might hold some intregue for people who have a

strong intrest in ww1. i don't know what to do with it.

some of the quotes include

' was killed here on wed(then something can't make it out) machine crashed and cought fire, died of injuries sameday.

he is talking about a man called W.S.Stewart Flt. sub-lieut, R.N.

does this matter to people or not :wacko: im very confused.

Stewart died in 1916 aged 19, and is buried in Argyllshire, Scotland. He's on the CWGC site with the details you have provided.

Np doubt someone can give further details. Good luck with your search.

I would agree with harps - contact the FAA museum (they cover the RNAS I believe) as they may be interested in adding it to the archive. If not I wouls keep it and treausre it for the insight it gives and then perhaps look to passing it on to a public archive in future years.

The Dept. of printed books at the Imperial War Museum may also be interested.

It certainly deserves to be preserved on account of the annotations.

The FAA Museum is definitely interested. Contact the Archivist on 01935 842 635 or 01935 842 628.

hi, thanks for the responce. i have contacted barbra on the number above. she has taken all details and is going to get back to me

i hope you can get some use and enjoyment from the book.

louise

For United States readers, the other edition of the book, entitled "With the Flying Squadron", is available for free download on Google Books.

It's a shame that the author of the Navy News piece saw fit to paint Admiral of the Fleet Sir Arthur K. Wilson as something of a luddite. There's no evidence of him ever uttering the "damned un-English" phrase and a quick glance at his life and service shows that he was a realist who did much to push technological advances in the Royal Navy.

Simon

• 1 month later...

hi everyone.

i got in contact with the FAA and they said they where interested, but have not been in contact with me since about the book, like they promised they would be.

would anyone on here be interested in this book?

please get in contact with me if you are.

thanks

Louise