The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New book on French mutinies 1917

JimSmithson

This is a new book on the Mutinies which contains a lot of interesting information, unavailable in English at the moment. I have only seen parts of it but some of the data on when and how many desertions occurred in particular divisions etc is very informative. Seesm well researched but I am not an expert on this area. Beneath are the details as posted by the author André.

Jim

André Loez,14-18, Les refus de la guerre. une histoire des mutins,Paris, Gallimard, collection "Folio histoire", 2010, 690 p., 12,40€

http://www.crid1418.org/doc/mutins.html

Centered on the dynamics of protest, the social history of the mutineers as well as their demands and writings, it provides new measurements of the mutinies' extent, and discusses previous interpretations (by G. Pedroncini, L. Smith, D. Rolland) regarding the causes of the mutinies, the (considerable) degree to which they were a refusal to fight, the political scope of the mutineers' actions, their suppression and the role of Pétain. This reappraisal of the 1917 mutinies intends to contribute to the general (and hotly debated) discussion of consent and obedience in the French army.

thanks for the heads up Jim. I'll look out for that

cheers Martin B

thanks for the heads up Jim. I'll look out for that

cheers Martin B