The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

hospitals

Dave_59

does anyone know where i can find records/information about/from military hopitals in France, stuff that is quite detailed needed really.

thanks

Dave_59,

Is it possible to use capitals and proper nouns to discover what 'stuff' you might require?

Rob

Dave_59,

Spelling may help in the process of finding the information you may need. What information do you require about admissons, and what hospitals are included in your search?

Rob

Dave_59,

I have no intention of insulting you. The information that I have on Abbeville Hospitals is:

No. 3 B.R.C.S. - From Oct 1914 to 18.01.16 (Friends' Ambulance Hospital)

No. 5 Stationary (B. Sector) From 1.1.15 to May 1919 (Known as 2nd Stationary Annex)

No. 2 Stationary From 18.9.15 to 17.1.20

You can get more, and better, information from the 1914-1918.net web site.

Regards,

Rob

Dave_59,

What individuals, and what dates?

Rob

james henry mepham, 4th batallion Grenadier Guards

Died of 'severe shell shock and trench exposure' 18th september 1916

burried at abbeville communal extension so i would guess that he was at hospital in Abbeville

Dave_59,

The web-site has a very good section on how to research an individual. I have the following information:

Guardsman James Henry Mepham

Born Orlstone, Kent

Enlisted Ashford

Died 18/09/16, Age 21

Died of wounds

France & Flanders

4th Battalion Grenadier Guards

Son of James & Ellen Mepham of Orlestone, Ham Street, Kent

Grave I.B. 19

Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension

The information is taken from 'Soldiers Died in the Great War' database, and The Commonwealth War Graves Commission web site.

It is interesting that you say that he died of "severe shell shock and trench exposure". I would be interested where you obtained this information.

Cheers,

Rob

Dave_59,

I think the specific information you require would be available at the 'National Archives' (aka PRO). In fact, there are probably individuals on this web site who could give you more information on this subject, rather than dragging your way to Kew.

Cheers

Rob

Dave,

You might get some information from the RAMC's museum.

The Curator

AMS Museum

Keogh Barracks

Ash Vale

Aldershot

GU12 5RQ

Tel: 01252 340320

I wrote to them recently and received a detailed and very helpful reply.

Regards,

Ken

I have been meaning to look into the hospital at Ris-Organis, just outside Paris. I haven't found much yet, but taking advantage of this thread I was hoping someone might be able to help me find info about the hospital and the aid organizations that worked there.

The person who I know worked there was Dorothy Conner and she was there in 1917-8.

Thanks in advance. Andy

Dear roberth,

In following this thread I note your reference to the 1914-1918.net web site. I havent been able to find it? Help please? Please also note how carefully I have captialised and spelt this message.

Thanks

Kathie

In following this thread I note your reference to the 1914-1918.net web site.  I havent been able to find it?  Help please?

Kathie,

http://1914-1918.net

And, I assume that the last sentence of your post was meant to be sarcastic, or did you deliberately spell robertb's name and the word 'capitalised' incorrectly? :huh:

Ken

:ph34r:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a forum concerning the Great War, not a points scoring exercise. Historical research is a 'broad church' and some of our members have better IT skills than others. Please let's stick to the subject and ignore gaffs and typo's.

The "1914-1918.net" website that is referred to here is actually the parent site of this forum! It is called The Long, Long Trail. There is a link to it top left of this very page. There are extensive sections on hospitals and the records you can find.

I'm afraid that you are going to be very disappointed at what you can find regarding an individual's hospital admission in France. There are no virtually records of this left today, with teh exception of the following:

1. Each hospital kept a daily war diary, but these rarely mention admissions by name. These are in the WO95 series at the National Archive.

2. There is a very small sample of admission registers, also held at the National Archives, in series MH106.

You might, if very lucky, find more about it in the soldier's own service papers.

Speaking as the founder, owner etc of this site, I find the bickering about spelling etc in this thread very disappointing. Come on, we're here to enquire, help and learn, not make personal comments and attacks.

Speaking as the founder, owner etc of this site, I find the bickering about spelling etc in this thread very disappointing. Come on, we're here to enquire, help and learn, not make personal comments and attacks.

Hear Hear. None of us are perfect, and, for a number of contributers, English is a second language. If these members wrote in their own languages, rather than the foreign language which is English, I am sure that very few of us Brits/other English speaking nationalities, would be able to understand them ;)

Nigel