The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

1/1st West Somerset Yeomanry

Guest Kathunka

Guest Kathunka

I am trying to get the truth from history as to where my Father served. Why? Family folklore has it that he served with the 29th Div. However, his three medals are engraved "883 Pte G HULL W SOM YEO" his shoulder titles are "1/1st W S Y". Further, I have a re-union dinner menu held in the London Hotel Taunton 1920 for the West Somerset Yeomanry and 12th(West Somerset Yeomanry) Bn Somerset Light Infantry. I have traced the movements of all the Bde and Div to which the 1/1st WSY and 12th (WSY) Bn SLI were attached and the 29th Div link doesn't make for good history. The RED TRIANGLE holds pride of place in the family's "kit-bag" of memories. I thought that the fact my Mother's father served with Somerset Light Infantry 13th of Foot might have clouded the issue but he was not in the Great War and the SLI didn't go to Gallipoli nor did they serve with the 29th Div in France or Flanders, as I understand it. Could my father have been attached to 29th Div by any chance?

Col(Rtd) A. James Hull KSJ

P.S. Why KATHUNKA? That's the noise 20Pdr Canister makes in bamboo!

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I suggest you visit the PRO at Kew to research him or hire a researcher. This isn't the sort of question that can be answered without some basic bio information to hand.

For those who are wondering why the WSY / 29th connection is not an obvious one.

The WSY served on Gallipoli, but not with 29th Division. They were attached at various times to 11th (Northern), 2nd Mounted and then 53rd (Welsh) Division. They were in the Suvla area, whereas 29th remained at Cape Helles.

This page summarises their history.