The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bedfordshire Regt.

Guest Tankman

Guest Tankman

I am looking for the battalion ( and any other info ) of Pte. Harry Shearing No. 39471.

All I can find out is that he was in the Bedfordshire Regt. when he went to France.

I have checked at the PRO his MIC and in WO 329/930 but dont give the battalion number.

He was later transferred to the Labour Corps.

If anyone has any information please let me know.

Regards

Tankman

Hi Tankman.

For what it is worth I am pretty sure he was not with the 7th Battalion (this battalion is my main WW1 interest). That leaves the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th as likely candidates.

Do you have any more information at all? The 1901 Census indicates he came from Castle Acre in Norfolk or Shepherds Bush in London. The Norfolk one is most likely (due to age and an H Shearing from Shepherds Bush is listed in the National Roll, he served in the Middle East and was later killed in France).

Did you get the information about being in the Bedfordshire Rgt when arriving in France from the Medal Roll Index? if so what date is given?

If you have the above info he presumably was entitled to a trio not a pair?

Did you look at the Roll itself?

Did you check the burnt papers?

All things that might help nail down his battalion.

As he served in the Labour Corps, he probably was wounded with the Bedfords and transferred to the LC on return to service.

The local Norfolk papers may list him as a casualty and it would be worth checking the Absent Voters Lists for Castle Acre (although he will probably be listed as LC by then).

Sorry for "more questions than answers" but there is some scope for further research.

All the best.

John.

Guest Tankman

John,

First thanks for your interest in my question, and your information.

To let you know, Harry Shearing was born in Barking, Essex on the 27th May 1897.

He is not quoted in the 1901 Census ( like lots of people !! ).

The MIC does not give the Theatre of War or Date of Entry to ToW information.

The Medal Roll WO 329/930, gave the same information as the MIC ( no Battalion details ).

The Burnt Papers ( Service Papers ) consist of only one sheet, and this was about his transfer from the Labour Corps to the Bedfordshire Regt on his re-enlistment in Feb 1919.

I have some discharge certificates and 2 medals ( BWM and VM ).

From these papers I have the following,

Enlisted Suffolk Regt 28th Feb 1916

Also served in Training Reserve

Bedfordshire Regt No. 39471 ( from medals )

76th Lab Coy, Labour Corps No. 656992

Discharged to Re-Enlisted Bedfordshire Regt. No. 51910 ( from MIC ) 23rd Feb 1919

Discharged 1st Bn, Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regt. No. 5943436 31st March 1922

Enlisted Section "D" Army Reserve No. 5943436 6th April 1922

Discharged 5th April 1926

This is all the military history that I have of Harry Shearing ( my Grandfather ).

If you have any other information, I would be very grateful.

Regards

Tankman