The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

A Regiment, Light Infantry & Corps to research

Guest Deniese

Guest Deniese

Where can I obtain information about these services and family members:

Dorsetshire Regiment - Private David William Ninnis 12393 killed 21/8/1915 Dardenelles

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - Private William Daniel Ninnis 6427 killed in action 1/1/1917

A T Ninnis, B Coy 41st Brigade Machine Gun Corps - (POW possibly Hooge?) returned home December 1918 I think.

I am currently researching my family tree and I have the names and numbers of the servicemen concerned and I know where one died, I know one was a POW and one was missing in action but where do I find out more about them?

I have noticed people refer to WO something - but what is it?

Can I get informaton about my family members service record etc?

I apologise for asking these questions but I am quite fresh to all of the research facilities available and where to find them :wacko:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Deniese

Hi Deniese

Chris' main site will give you info. on where to look.

I can give you a little info. on Private William Daniel Ninnis 6427.

Soldiers Died records that he was born at Pengam Bargoed and resided at Trelewis. He enlisted at Pontypridd and was killed with the 7th Battalion. I do not have the War Diary of the 7th Battalion, and the Regimental History only records that the Battalion was satationed in the Serre sector on the Somme. Four men from the Battalion were killed on the 1/1/1917 and none of them have a known grave. Sorry I could not tell you more.

Annette

Hello Deniese, welcome to the forum and good luck!

By 'main site', Annette refers to the Long, Long Trail. See the link top left of this page? Go there, and read "Grandad's war". It will tell you all you need to know.

The WO is most often seen at the front of a document reference at the National Archives, like WO95/123. It stands for War Office.

I should also say right away that you should go to www.cwgc.org, the website of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and search for these soldiers online.

Guest Deniese
Hi Deniese

Chris' main site will give you info. on where to look.

I can give you a little info. on Private William Daniel Ninnis 6427.

Soldiers Died records that he was born at Pengam Bargoed and resided  at Trelewis. He enlisted at Pontypridd and was killed with the 7th Battalion. I do not have the War Diary of the 7th Battalion, and the Regimental History only records that the Battalion was satationed in the Serre sector on the Somme. Four men from the Battalion were killed on the 1/1/1917 and none of them have a known grave. Sorry I could not tell you more.

Annette

:D Thank you Annette very much for your help. The information you mentioned about William Ninnis was from soldiers died records, where can I find this? Would this be where Chris mentioned on the CWWG site?

Again Many thanks,

Deniese

Guest Deniese

Wow! :D

Thank you Chris, What a site - guess where I'll be spending most of this weekend - glued to those pages. :blink:

Thank you for your help. Needless to say I will certainly be asking for more help no doubt in the not too distant future. Again, many thanks.

Regards,

Deniese

Hi Deniese

Soldiers Died was originaly printed by His Majesty's Stationery Office, in 80 volums but only covers the Army. The whole lot are now on CD ROM but this is expensive. Your local Library may have a copy ?

I searched my SD for the name Ninnis, and found six. Here are the following detail for David William Ninnis, 12393 5th Dorsets.

Born -Gelligaer

Enlisted- Brecon

Resided- Trelewis

Annette