The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hampshire Regiment POW

Guest Warburton

Guest Warburton

Ive just been on the CWGC site hoping to find out where the following officer died - but there is no trace of him ?

I know he died as he is recorded in Cox's list of officers as taken prisoner of war 19/4/1917 and died of wounds 20/4/1917.

Does anyone have details from soldiers died in the great war ? or other information, i was hoping to find out just where he is buried.

2ND LIEUTENANT R.A. BLOFIELD HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT.

Thanks for looking

warburton

Have just checked the site. He is listed as BLOFELD and is on the Jerusalem memorial.

Hope this helps.

Jemimajane

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

He was captured during the 2nd Battle of Gaza 19th April 1917 in Palestine.

This is when the 163rd Brigde attacked the Khr Shian line of which the later named Tank Redoubt was the objective.

To help this brigade the 1st Anzac Bn Camel Corps also attacked on the right flank.

The 8th Hampshires where in support of the 1/5th Norfork's and both Bn's and Camel Corps were badly hit during the day as they took the redoubt but lost it later when most of the men were forced from it.

Those unable to withdrawl weather cut off or wounded were captured and he was one of those.

He like the Australian officer Lt William Fender reported WIA and POW during this battle but no record of him after, he appears to have died of wounds and buried in some unrecorded place. I should also mention that of the two companies of the 1st Anzac Bn Camel Corps shows some 35 men as MIA after this battle and never found.

There has been some talk on this battle around the site under 1/5th Norfork's or Gaza where you may find more.

Cheers

S.B

Guest Warburton

Wow what can i say- once again the knowledge of people on this forum amazes me - THANKYOU BOTH.

Warburton