The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

49 CEF

nshighlander

Hi

I got a great group from Terry.Trio to the 49 CEF,Pte Rait KIA Sept 22 1916.I have check the war diary nothing really there.So my ? is what were they doing and where were they?There was I think 12 killed for that month.Thank you for your help.

Thanks again Terry.

Cheers

Dave

Hi

I got a great group from Terry.Trio to the 49 CEF,Pte Rait KIA Sept 22 1916.I have check the war diary nothing really there.So my ? is what were they doing and where were they?There was I think 12 killed for that month.Thank you for your help.

The 49th had been relieved on the night of September 17/18 after the Courcelette show during which they had suffered more than 250 casualties. The 7th Brigade Diary shows they were removed first to Tara Hill , then to billets in Albert on the 19th. They supplied working parties (in conjunction with the other battalions of the Brigade) each night. On the night of the 22nd, the 49th working party suffered 2 O.R. killed, and 2 wounded. Presumably this fellow was one of those.

Hi Dave:

•September 1 to 6, 1916 the 49th Battalion was in training in the Cassel area.

•September 7 to 9 the battalion moved to Cramont. Before leaving Cassel, the battalion had an accident during grenade practice that killed one and wounded 7.

•September 10 to 14 the battalion move from Halloy Les Pernois to Vadencourt to Albert.

•September 15 The 3rd Brigade attacked the Sunken Road, Fabeck Garden and Zollern Garden. The 49th Battalion was at Tara Hill and attacked Zollern Garden. They captured and held this position with difficulty and heavy casualties.

•September 17 the battalion was relieved and went to the rest area at Tara Hill.

•September 19 the battalion moved from Tara Hill to billets in Albert.

•September 20 to 22 the battalion supplied working parties. On September 22 the 49th Battalion casualties were two other ranks killed and two wounded.

Garth

Hi Dave,

Hope you enjoy the trio. Isn't it odd that I looked for a 49th trio for nearly five years with no luck at all and then two trios (both to KIA's) appeared on ebay around the same time. I now see there is yet another currently on ebay. Perhaps someone has broken up a battalion collection, although the two trios I purchased came from different sources (one UK, the other Florida).

Keep us advised of your progress in British Columbia.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi

I made a mistake.There was around 12 KIA in the 3 days between Sept 20 to the 23(CWGC REPORT).Could someone show me the link to the diary of the 7th birgade.I`ve tried that also with no luck.Thanks for all the replys.

Cheers

Dave

P.S Don`t try to reply to a post after 10 beer.Thank GOD it don`t show up. :lol:

Allow me to restate an opinion I have made before. This sort of query show how valuable it is to have all the war diaries freely available on-line. It is quite true that the battalion diary is the first place to look; however, in cases like this one wants to go up to the brigade diary to fill in missing information. In fact, brigade or divisional diaries are more likely to have stuff like sketches, maps, operational orders, and intelligence summaries which fill out the picture. With the on-line diaries one can just root around for a few minutes at little or no cost.

Sometimes one comes up with negative information. In this case, it seems the casualty occurred on a working party. Just on a whim, I looked at the diaries from the engineering units (who would have directed the work). In this case I could not find the reference (sappers sometimes kept depressingly inconsistent records!), but the effort was slight and one could easily strike it lucky!

Just an opinion. All diaries and other documents shoud be on-line. Sorry for the rant.

Not a rant at all jhill. I agree the best place for all the CEF related archives is on-line. It gets fairly inaccessible (to some people) documents out to a wide range of people and safeguards the continued existance of the information contained therein.

If there is one thing I'd like to see, and I don't mean this to be unappreciative of the fine work done by Archives Canada already, would be to find a better method of copying the trench maps held in the various battalion, brigade, and divisional diaries. I can think of one battalion, the 102nd whose diarist faithfully included many trench maps but the details are difficult to read.