The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Kenneth Lotherington Hutchings

Clive Maier

I think I recall from another thread that one or two Pals have a copy of TONBRIDGE SCHOOL AND THE GREAT WAR OF 1914-1919: A Record of the Services of Tonbridgians in the Great War of 1914 to 1919. If so, and whenever convenient, I would very much appreciate a lookup and perhaps a scan on the noted cricketer Kenneth Lotherington Hutchings.

Hutchings is commemorated on my hometown memorial at Southborough in Kent. He was at one time an immediate neighbour of Oscar Maier, the man remembered in my signature. The two may well have known each other.

This is what I know of Hutchings.

He was born in Southborough on 7 December 1882 and died with the rank of Lieutenant on 3 September 1916, just three days after my uncle Oscar. He served with the 4th Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool Regiment) and was attached to the 12th Battalion. He is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. He was educated at Tonbridge School where he excelled at cricket, scoring several centuries and a double century in school matches. He played his first game for the Kent county side in the same year that he left school. He played a full county season in 1903 and had his best year in 1906, when he averaged over 60, scored four centuries and led Kent to the county championship. He played seven times for England and made his debut at Sydney in the 1907/08 series against Australia. The highlight was an innings of 126 in the second test of that series. His last test match came at The Oval in 1909 where he signed off with an innings of 59, once again against Australia. He rather lost form after the 1910 season in which Kent won the championship again, suffered some ill health, and dropped out of first-class cricket in 1912, having amassed 10,054 runs at an average 33.62, and with a top score of 176. He took 179 catches and with his occasional bowling managed 24 wickets.

A Vanity Fair cartoon by Spy of Hutchings fielding in the slips has just this moment been sold on Ebay for £93.49. Far beyond my reach unfortunately.

Mick,

Thank you. Whenever convenient.

Clive

Clive

I had a look this morning and there are a couple of pages about your man and a photograph. I'm on nights this week so when I get back to the land of the living I'll e-mail some images to you.

Mick

If you haven't heard by the end of next weekend give me a kick

Mick,

Great, many thanks.

Clive