The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Airmen who Died in the Great War, 1914 - 1918

wizzies

Hi, Forumites:

I'm toying with the idea of getting a copy of this book, but before splashing out on it, would be interested in seeing a page to see what information is contained therein; would anyone who has the book be so kind as to post an image of one of the pages??

t i a

Andy Wis

Andy

It's not as simple as posting a copy of a page, as the book is divided into sections. First of all, every fatal casualty of the RNAS, RFC, RAF, AFC and WRAF is listed in alphabetical order, with very brief biographical details, eg place of birth, former regiment(s) [when applicable], age at death, date of death, means of death [killed in action, killed while flying or died of other causes] and place of burial.

The next part is a chronological history the deaths in each service which includes, where applicable, the type and serial number of the aircraft being flown at the time. Then there are deaths listed by unit, followed by appendices that cover various other points, such as pre-War deaths, US personnel serving with British units, etc.

There's a lot of information, and I recommend it very highly.

Gareth

Intrigued by the cost, I tried abebooks, amazon and even bookbutler, but can't find a trace of it.

Is it expensive?

(although since nobody's got one, it could be free!)

Bruce

Andy,

If you Google Äirmen who died in the great war"you will find some interesting stuff on where the book may be obtained etc

David

Not many copies available anywhere by the looks of it, another book in my library worth a small fortune then.

There's a lot of information, and I recommend it very highly.

Gareth

I fully agree, I lent my copy to a fellow South Staffs Pal who also thought it excellent.

Not cheap even when new several years ago, IIRC it was £80+

Roy