The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2 new Arras Panorama Books in June/July

zeptrader

Hi, Ive not posted here for some time but wanted to ask a question rgarding 2 new panorama books by Peter Barton and Jeremy Banning, they are -

Arras: The Spring 1917 Offensive in Panoramas Including Vimy Ridge and Bullecourt

Released in June 24th

and

Arras: Vimy Ridge and Arras

Relased in July 5th

Both have the same cover, as my interest lies in Arras (my great grandfather) to be exact Cherisy May 3rd 1917.

But what is in one and not another, sorry to sound like a plumb but I would like to pre-order one of them.

Thanks in advance.

Colin

I'm sure Jeremy Banning will confirm or explain, but it looks to me as if one is the US edition. There are slightly more pages in one than the other, and why that should be I cannot guess.

Keith

Sounds about right, but looking at the pages ect -

Arras: The Spring 1917 Offensive in Panoramas Including Vimy Ridge and Bullecourt (Hardback)

Hardcover: 304 pages

Publisher: Constable (24 Jun 2010)

Language English

ISBN-10: 1845294211

ISBN-13: 978-1845294212

Vimy Ridge and Arras (Hardcover)

Hardcover: 320 pages

Publisher: Dundurn Group (CA) (5 July 2010)

Language English

ISBN-10: 1554887445

ISBN-13: 978-1554887446

Actually looking at it now I wonder if the later is concentrating more on Vimy rather that Arras as a whole.

The Constable one is the original. It could be that the latter has been altered slightly by Dundurn to make more attractive to readers in Canada (they are a Canadian publishers). I would order the Constable one to be sure of the correct quality.

Jim

I would suggest looking at one before buying, very attractive books, I have the Battlefields of the First World War edition, the panoramic pictures are a bit of a disapointment and don't really impress.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
The Constable one is the original. It could be that the latter has been altered slightly by Dundurn to make more attractive to readers in Canada (they are a Canadian publishers). I would order the Constable one to be sure of the correct quality.

Just come across this thread. In answer to Colin's original question, Jim's explanation above is quite right.

As far as I know both books are identical - apart from the title. I've just checked my pdf copy and the book is 320 pages long. Quite why one says 304 pages is beyond me!

The inclusion of Vimy in the title is to appeal to the Canadian market who will know the name 'Vimy' but not necessarily 'Arras'. Order the 'Arras: The Spring 1917 Offensive in Panoramas Including Vimy Ridge and Bullecourt' one and you'll get the UK version. Many thanks for your interest. Plus, it looks as if it will be available a fortnight or so before the one for the Canadian market.

Hope that helps.

regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

I placed my order some weeks back, but wish you could train your publishers to release such titles shortly before my visit to the area, rather than delaying publication until I am on the way home. I might say that this is not the first time.

Keith

Thanks Jeremy for that info, I am really looking forward to this book, as my great grand father was killed in action at Cherisy on 3rd May this holds im sure loads of information that Ive yet to discover, he was also in the caves at Ronvile.

Thanks again

Colin

Feel free to post his details and I will see what I have on his unit and the particular action he was involved in. Or you can PM me if you want.

cheers

Jeremy