The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Meeting a WW1 Veteran

salientpoints

I am fortunate enough this coming Tuesday to be able to meet Henry Allingham, now I believe our oldest surviving war veteran at 108 (in April).

Henry as I'm sure you all know signed up in 1915, seeing action at Jutland, Ypres and The Somme seeing some of most horrific sights known to man.

What does one say to men like this apart from 'what an honour' or 'thank you'?

I am now and I'm sure to be, lost for words.

I might mention Nell McAndrew to break the ice...

lotto1.jpg

Ryan

Ryan,

Well............I'd start with 'What an honour.....'

Then I suppose there is no beating about the bush..........you'll have to ask about Nell!!! before you get on to the serious stuff of his memories and what it was like, both at home and on the front

I wouldn't know what to say either, and I would probably find it quite an emotional event.

Good luck for your meeting and enjoy (as I'm sure you will)

Steve

Henry as I'm sure you all know signed up in 1915, seeing action at Jutland, Ypres and The Somme seeing some of most horrific sights known to man.

Out of interest, what unit was he with to see such a diverse amount of battlefronts - Royal Marines? (RM then RMLI in the RND?)

Ryan

The 90 year + old WW1 & WW2 matelot I used to know as a child liked telling risque jokes, smoking cigars and reminiscing about his travels (not too much about the battles, though).

Maybe take him a bottle of original recipe Pusser's Rum (still made for sale at museum outlets and, I believe, also on-line): if his heart can stand being that close to Nell on a hot day at his age, the odd tot's not going to kill him! That should break the ice.

Cheers

Richard

Out of interest, what unit was he with to see such a diverse amount of battlefronts - Royal Marines? (RM then RMLI in the RND?)

Hi Paul,

Henry signed up to RNAS in 1915 as a mechanic. He was serving in HMS Kingfisher during the Battle of Jutland and later, when the RNAS joined the Royal Flying Corps he was on the ground with the Army in Flanders, Ypres and the Somme.

One of his anecdotes from Ypres I have read is about falling into a shell hole whilst looking for plane wreckage. "It was night, it was full of water and it stank. It was full of rats and had legs, bodies and arms everywhere. I thought I would drown in there but couldn't move until dawn in case of booby traps."

Uncomprehendible

Ryan

What does one say to men like this apart from 'what an honour' or 'thank you'?

Just don't do what I did when I met a highly decorated Korea and Vietnam vet a couple of years ago.....we talked about the weather in Normandy!!!!!

(I've been kicking myself ever since!!!)

Dave.

Well, it all went off smoothly!

I had arranged via Max Arthur who knows Henry to come along to a booktrade showcase which was topped in the evening by a story or two by Max and a preview of 'Forgotten Voices of World War 2'.

Recapping on the success of the first book Dennis Goodwin of the First World War Veterans Association brought along Henry Allingham.

It was quite moving as I did the introduction to Henry to over 100 people up on the stage and as Dennis brought him in everyone was clapping and standing.

I was able to chat to Henry, Dennis and Max for about an hour before and buy them all a beer!

Apart from being partially sighted and a little deaf now (it is better to talk to his ear than at him) he still lives on his own in Eastbourne and I got his birthday wrong but how about this, he is in fact 108 on June 6th - D-Day!

He is pretty damn with it for 107 I can tell you and stayed with us from 6 to 10pm.

He is a very humble man and spoke to everyone at the end of the evening saying how honoured he was that we should invite him to our function. He says he doesn't really know what all the fuss is about!

He was telling me about on the day the armistace was signed all the lads were out celebrating and he just quietly went to bed for a good nights sleep! - no doubt the soundest sleep in 3 years...

A couple of photos follow:

post-1-1084991489.jpg

To finish off the post above I thought I'd also share this picture with you also if you don't mind, I took along my copy of 'Forgotten Voices' and asked Henry if he would mind signing it.

Despite his failing eyesight he still makes a marvellous effort to accomodate others wishes. This has just reminded me that he asked all of us on the dinner table to sign our names for him on the function menu card for him.

Dennis said that social outings are the best thing for Henry, he may not be able to hear or see everything going on but he can pick up on the vibes and it is this interaction which helps to keep him and no doubt other vets strong.

Wonderful.

- For those of you with eyesight worse than a 107 year old the text says the following: "Henry Allingham, RNAS 1915-1919. 2 yrs home service 2 yrs France. HMS Kingfisher at Jutland."

Ryan

post-1-1085036268.jpg

Henry Allingham has two neices and two nephews living here in Norfolk who have regualr contact with him. One visited a couple of weeks ago on the day that he was due to be collected by the Lord Mayor for a function. Another is planning a visit next week. They all testify to his remarkanble physical and mental capacity.

Apparently, having married a Norfolk girl, he was very keen to stay here but she preferred the bright lights of Epping, Essex. Consequently, he always enjoyed his visits to the county until a few years ago. What a remarkable gentlemen!

Guest Biplane pilot

On a related subject, just yesterday I spoke with an 85-year-old WW II veteran (navy) who's in excellent health & spirits. He's tracking the survival rate better than the US Veterans' Administration and computed that the DAILY loss is approaching 1,500. He believes that in 7 years "the greatest generation" will for practical purposes be gone, though I suspect it won't be that long. The average US veteran of the war was born in 1919 so 2011 would make 'em 92. I believe that the generation has long since passed its life expectancy.

Moral of the story: if you're going to talk to them, do it now. And don't overlook the ladies. The luncheon speaker was a very feisty 82-year-old lady who ferried everything from L-5s to B-17s, and as a 22-year-old WASP she had a real good time!

I thought I'd share henry's story from the Daily Mail last November.

Sorry the images are 100k each but its the smallest I can get so you can still read!

Ryan

post-1-1085162661.jpg

and page 2.

I do have a larger PDF if anyone is interested (1MB)

Ryan

post-1-1085162721.jpg

Very interesting stuff - I never realised that there were quite so few WW1 vets left (although obviously fewer since the article was written). Anyone know how many are left in America, France and Germany? (I have heard that last 'proper'(?) Anzac - i.e. Gallipoli veteran - in Australia died recently.)

Also, nice to see a decent, 'good news' article in the Daily Mail for a change!

Richard

I have just got my Dads WW2 service papers and they make great reading, he got 10 days confined to barracks for jumping on a bus when he was supposed to be doing a route march, 8 days for loosing a hospital sheet after being wounded in Italy. It gives his details as weight 110lb, height 5ft 5inch and chest of 32 inches, he is now 79, about 15 stone and 5ft10 inch in stocking feet !

There is about 40 pages going into great detail of every aspect of his service, this is fantastic for me as my dad has never been one to talk about what happened, whenever you mention the War he looks very sad and just says he lost alot of good mates

Wasman,

Did you get the papers from the MOD? If so, I'd be most obliged if you would tell me the appropriate address to obtain such papers.

I did read that WW2 papers will be available in the near future (sixty year rule?); can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

Richard