The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Underground Warfare 1914-1918

chris mccarthy

I see Simon's Jones book on mining has just been published at last. I appears to be up to his his usual high standard. Not only does it cover British and Empire mining but French and German as well. Also what the miners did for a living after Messines, something that I have idly wondered at times. I have only just started it but it looks a must have!

First world war history seems to be getting like busies, nothing for ages and then two really good ones along at the same time. I refer of course to Ralphs Whitehead's book on the German XIV Corps.

Chris

List Price £25 but special offer on Amazon £14.99 & free P&P

Don't forget to order through the GWF link!

Peter

Thanks Chris & Peter, the price is currently £17 on Amazon (or you could buy it from a shop!).

Simon

Simon - please tell us more.

[updated Forum Rules in case you missed it:

Advertising Of Personal Publications

In common with the membership, the Trustees are keen to know of new publications relating to the Great War, and we welcome news of new books etc, particularly those written by our members. It is an important part of our information exchange to learn of the availabilty of new publications, both for pleasure, and to expand research.

The question has been raised as to avoiding transgression of the GWF’s rules on advertising. The one rule we will make is that:

Only ONE image of the cover may be posted on the main discussion board, in addition to one in the Classified Section (if the author chooses to place a notice there).

Otherwise, we do reserve the right to edit overt advertising i.e. excessive mentions, links, multiple threads etc etc. In other words, please play fair, make use of the Forum, but do not abuse the Forum’s hospitality.

Where applicable, we ask authors to acknowledge the assistance of individual pals, and the GWF itself in their works. Inclusion of our URL https://www.greatwarforum.org would also be appreciated. After all, we can assist in the creation of even more good books if this is done.

We wish everyone who has, or is intending to publish, every success in their endeavours, and we look forward to carrying news of their projects and completed works.

(added 23 February 2010)]

Thanks, Andrew

Here is the publisher's website.

I examine underground warfare in its various aspects on the Western Front and Gallipoli, including the French fronts such as Carency, les Éparges, Vauquois and the Argonne. The book places mining and the use of underground shelters and communications in the wider tactical context and assesses their value.

288 pages (110,000 words), about 90 drawings and 21 photographs. I have put a few of the drawings and photos on my facebook page (see below) which also has details of a linked battlefield tour in June of this year.

Some links for the facebook albums:

26717_101247063246541_100000837435018_34

Fig. 78 German dugouts as developed during 1915 with cover increased to 5m and double bunks for eight men, shown in relation to the fire and support trenches. From Seesselberg, Der Stellungskrieg.

26717_101247069913207_100000837435018_34

Fig. 79 Plan view of the same type of 1915 vintage dugout as Fig. 78 described by Capitaine Thobie in La Prise de Carency.

26717_101247053246542_100000837435018_34

Fig. 82 French design of deep gallery shelter with 6.7m head cover, as per instructions of January 1917. From an American translation Notes on the Construction of Deep Gallery Shelters.

Some sample photos (my copyright).

26226_100710703300177_100000837435018_18

The opposing lines and mine-riven no mans land of Éparges ridge, called by the Germans Combres Höhe, April 1917. The Germans held the summit with a deep and comprehensive trench system which was mirrored below ground by a powerful mine network. They have driven through the summit of the ridge to blow the less complete French trenches on the left. Point X, where the French initiated mining in November 1914, is farthest from the camera.

26226_100710716633509_100000837435018_18

A scene in a German dugout at 9m depth representing the mental and physical exhaustion after enemy bombardment had prevented sleep, rations or relief. By 1917 deep accommodation in the German front line was prohibited owing to the Allies ability to trap the garrisons underground using creeping barrages and mopping up troops.

An update: Holts Tours are giving away a free copy of the book for anyone who comes on my Tunnellers Battlefield tour.

Note to Mods: I hope I am not giving out too much information here...

It's nothing to do with Simon, I know, but, I do wish Pen & Sword would reconsider their charges for those who live outside Europe - 14 quid is a bit steep for the delivery of one book

From http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/?page=deliveryrates

Delivery Rates

1st Class (UK and BFPO Addresses Only): £6.00 per order

2nd Class (UK and BFPO Addresses Only): £4.00 per order / FREE (if you spend over £30) *

EU Delivery (including ROI): £4.00 per item (min. 2 items - otherwise £8.00)

International Delivery: £7.00 per item bought (min. 2 items - otherwise £14.00)

All the best with the book Simon

regards

Michael

An update: Holts Tours are giving away a free copy of the book for anyone who comes on my Tunnellers Battlefield tour.

Any chance of a refund for those who have already bought your excellent book and are coming on the tour?

Peter

I'll buy the free copy off you at the Amazon price! Amazon sell it for cheaper than I get it with author's discount!

I like the book.

But [there is always a but]

scarcely anything about the physics and maths and chemistry involved ...... one gets the impression that charges were guessed at by crazed Methodists who enjoyed a thunderous bang.

The science is very understandable: I led my granddaughters aged 13,12 and 10 through the logic before a Messines tour and they were ahead of me at times.

I am enjoying the book very much and when finished will write up a full review. However, I do think the comments about lack of science reflect the readership at which the book is aimed. If Simon had included sections on the science of explosions then I bet P&S would have culled them. The book is a very readable account of military mining on the western front, not a textbook. As far as I can see Simon has played to his readership very well and the fact that the book is very well referenced indeed makes it easy for a reader to follow up on a certain area of interest if they would like. I am only half way through it but cannot see that it is seriously lacking in any way. Incidentally, I read an article a few years ago in Stand To! on the science of mining explosions and found it like watching paint dry so it doesn’t necessarily appeal to everyone, even someone with a clear interest in the underground war and a degree in engineering!

I am enjoying the book very much and when finished will write up a full review. However, I do think the comments about lack of science reflect the readership at which the book is aimed. If Simon had included sections on the science of explosions then I bet P&S would have culled them. The book is a very readable account of military mining on the western front, not a textbook. As far as I can see Simon has played to his readership very well and the fact that the book is very well referenced indeed makes it easy for a reader to follow up on a certain area of interest if they would like. I am only half way through it but cannot see that it is seriously lacking in any way. Incidentally, I read an article a few years ago in Stand To! on the science of mining explosions and found it like watching paint dry so it doesn’t necessarily appeal to everyone, even someone with a clear interest in the underground war and a degree in engineering!

I am sorry that you found my article boring: the decision to write it was mine, the decision to publish it was the editor's.

Regarding references, not everyone has all the relevant material which, despite what you say, is far from easy to access. Fortunately, as I am a reader at Cambridge University Library, I have the few that I do not own readily available there.

My little contribution was not culled, and remains, until someone writes something more interesting, the only 'one-stop-shop' that I have seen for anyone remotely interested in the problems facing the RE tasked with producing a crater big enough to achieve the desired result without scoring an own goal.

I am sorry that you found my article boring: the decision to write it was mine, the decision to publish it was the editor's.

Regarding references, not everyone has all the relevant material which, despite what you say, is far from easy to access. Fortunately, as I am a reader at Cambridge University Library, I have the few that I do not own readily available there.

My little contribution was not culled, and remains, until someone writes something more interesting, the only 'one-stop-shop' that I have seen for anyone remotely interested in the problems facing the RE tasked with producing a crater big enough to achieve the desired result without scoring an own goal.

You set Mr Banning up nicely there, though I don't think you meant to! What issue of Stand To was the article in?

Whoops, - no offence meant. I had no idea you wrote this and would have not mentioned it if I had known. I recall it being a few years ago and remember reading it whilst in a library and finding it not to my liking. It seemed relevant to mention as that was the subject in discussion. Apologies.

The point I was making was that from what I have read thus far, the book isn’t the sort that would have benefitted from a great deal of scientific analysis regarding explosions. Personally I cannot see P&S sanctioning the inclusion of that sort of material as it would be too obvious a departure from the format of the book.

I would be interested in seeing the article but I would then spend every waking minute waiting the swat team abseiling through the window when GCHQ tells them I accessed material on the internet that could be of assistance to terrorists.

No offence taken of course, no feathers ruffled.

It was ST! 76.

I can make it available as an attachment to an e-mail if anyone wants it.

My conclusion was that the formulae were not robust enough to consider using them for a modest garden pond excavation, even given a supply of relevant explosive.

Thanks all. I love it when a thread gets controversial.

Blimey Ken, WHS are even cheaper than Amazon.

Speaking as a co-author of 'another tunnelling book' (and a scientist to boot), I am pleased to see this book out, and pleased to see its broad coverage and insight.

Best wishes

Peter