The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Underground Warfare 1914-1918

chris mccarthy

They are nice to have. Hope you have made a melinex dust jacket to protect the volume(s) - makes it much easier to handle them without worrying.

Speaking as a co-author of 'another tunnelling book' (and a scientist to boot), I am pleased to see this book out, and pleased to see its broad coverage and insight.

I've got Beneath Flanders Fields. It's great! This one looks good too. Can anyone explain more about how the two books differ?

I've got Beneath Flanders Fields. It's great! This one looks good too. Can anyone explain more about how the two books differ?

As no one else has replied I’ll do it myself! The extremely excellent Beneath Flanders Fields is mostly concerned with British mining and dugout construction in the Ypres Salient. My book covers in addition to the Salient, the other British sectors, i.e. Loos, Vimy, Arras and the Somme, plus Gallipoli, and much of the French front using translations from French and German books and archives. I also discuss and seriously question the value of mining and tunnelling as part of the overall development of fighting methods (which included fear, surprise and a ruthless efficiency...) ;) .

just finished it, well worth a read, thanks Simon

Matt (the young man - well at the time - who did voluntry work with you in the archives in liverpol taking photos of various ww1 kit you had there, maybe 14 years ago!)

Matt

Blimey! Were you a student at Liverpool Uni? I think I do remember...

Glad you liked the book.

Simon