The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Mailly-Maillet

Andrew Hesketh

I've been Andrew. :rolleyes:

Sailly-sur-La-Lys Churchyard.

Which,if unless my French geography,is letting me down is,some distance from Mailly-Maillet. :lol:

The extract from the 8th Royal Scots War Diary about Mailly-Maillet,is a 1916 one.

The Sailly casualty was in 1915.

George

Ah, I assumed he was somewhere near Mailly. Good job you haven't taken up the offer then! :lol:

For those who have contacted me about the location of the catacombs, here is a copy of a report I did some time ago, with copies of the plans showing entrances (not much point in scanning whole of catacombs layout). Copies not very clear as originals not clear but I imagine someone with better computer skills than I can lighten/improve these.

I would be very keen to hear if anyone actually manages to enter the catacombs. Probably still traces of NZ/other residence there.

Regards, Peter

A bit more

Another entrance

post-2649-1268583253.jpg

post-2649-1268583351.jpg

post-2649-1268583438.jpg

Peter, many thanks. I feel a snoop coming on....

Good Evening Andrew.

In the centre of Mailly where there is a wide area near the vets,the open space just in front of it used to be a large man made watering place for animals and may have been used by the soldiers? Also about that area on the right hand side of the road as you walk on the direction of the cemetery there is graphity on the walls of the houses done by soldiers at that time it can be seen quite clearly.There is also a house just around the corner same side that still has a great deal of shrapnell damadge on the exrerior.

The owner of the property at the other end of Mailly last house on the left the one that was sand bagged and used as a medical post of some description (B & B) Madam Paulette Pecourt, she told me her Grandmother used to own and run one of the estaminets in Mailly and has a wonderfull collection of badges given to her Grandmother by the soldiers thoughout the war. The place is packed with history, wonderfull place I would love to live there, but i can dream on.

Regards Andy

Hi Again Andrew.

Please excuse spelling mistakes, trying to talk on the phone at the same time.

regards Andy

Thanks Andy, some useful things to look out for.

• 3 months later...

Dear all,

This post is just a blatant attempt to place the thread back on your VNP as I'm going in just a few weeks. :)

Any more news on the tunnels?

Old photo's would be great!

Yes, intrigued by the tunnels - are the location references from the relevant trenchmaps? As has been said, it would ge good to have a poke about.

I would think it doubtful that a battalion sized hole has been filled in - though the entrances may have been sealed, I suppose.

Perhaps the current villagers are well aware of the locations and are being as "close" as their forebears were about telling all.

Originally it was thought that it was the setting for de Lisle's speech to the troops prior to July 1st but I think this may have been contested. Was it Louvencourt or similar? Also, Blunden describes it & a cellar he was at in 'Undertones Of War'. Can't locate my copy at the mo but worth a look?

I'll be there next week. I'll ask around if I get the opportunity.

Cheers Ken.