Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Fred Roberts, Sherwood Foresters

Andrew Hesketh

Mike Briggs has been helping someone who is trying to;

"create my dissertation on how trench magazines nad newspapers helped troop morale in WWI. My main focus is on the Wipers Times and the driving force behind it. I am aware that the man who edited the trench magazine was Captain Fred Roberts from the Sherwood Foresters and was from the 24th Division. Do you have any information or records on this soldier as it would be vital to my project. I am aware he also won the military cross and died much later in 1964 in Canada. Please if you have any inforamtion at all it would be greatly appreciated to have as soon as you can."

Mike has helped out but I'm sure that forum pals may well be able to add more. I will pass on the results to the student.

Thanks.

Mike Briggs has been helping someone who is trying to;

"create my dissertation on how trench magazines nad newspapers helped troop morale in WWI. My main focus is on the Wipers Times and the driving force behind it. I am aware that the man who edited the trench magazine was Captain Fred Roberts from the Sherwood Foresters and was from the 24th Division. Do you have any information or records on this soldier as it would be vital to my project. I am aware he also won the military cross and died much later in 1964 in Canada. Please if you have any inforamtion at all it would be greatly appreciated to have as soon as you can."

Mike has helped out but I'm sure that forum pals may well be able to add more. I will pass on the results to the student.

Thanks.

Frederick John Roberts

2nd Lieutenant with the 12th Battalion (Pioneers) The Sherwood Foresters dated 28th January 1915.

Captain 20th July 1915 and Major 2nd November 1916. Temp/Lieut-Col 20th February 1917.

Lieut/Col and CO of the 12th Battalion 6th September 1917.

Co Editor and originator of the Wipers Times.

Died in Toronto Canada in September 1964.

M.C. London Gazette, 1st January 1917.

post-30693-1268431937.jpg

• 2 years later...