The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Walter Tull

Mark Hone

I've been carrying out a bit of research for school about Walter Tull, who has become rather a cult figure recently and has been discussed on the forum before. However in none of the articles about him I have read or the previous postings have I discovered a real explanation of how he evaded the 'colour bar' on officers which seems to have stopped others and was exercised at an official and unofficial level. Does anyone know the exact circumstances in which he was approved for officer training?

Mark

Just dug this out of the Northampton Town web site. Doesn't really answer the question, I don't suppose, but does add a little.

“Then came war. It was perhaps inevitable, given the spirit of muscular Christianity in which he was raised, that Tull should make a swift transition from sport to war. What was less inevitable was that he should conduct himself with even more distinction on the battlefield than on the playing field. Yet he did. He enlisted in the 17th (1st. Football) Battalion of the Middlesex Regiment, alongside many other professional footballers. By 1916, he had been made a sergeant. Among other actions, he was involved in the murderous first battle of the Somme. We can only guess the horrors he endured, but they did not break him. Instead, something extraordinary happened. Towards the end of 1916 he was invalided home with trench fever. Upon leaving hospital, he went to the officer cadet training school at Gailes in Scotland. This was unprecedented, Indeed, it was technically impossible: the 1914 Manual of Military Law specifically excluded "Negroes" from exercising "actual command" as officers. Yet Tull's superior officers must have recommended him - a remarkable tribute to his charisma.”

Regards

Stephen

Thanks Stephen-yes that was one of the articles which I looked at which records the fact that he avoided the colour bar but doesn't say how he did it. I taped the Radio 4 play about him and will give it a listen to see if the matter is dealt with there.

I don't think there actually was a 'colour bar' to British Born subjects. My view, from my reading of the Military Law (and I may be wrong) is that there was no bar and this has been misinterpreted and oft repeated. Apart from anything else it would probably be illegal in terms of civil law and I doubt the army could completely disregard that in all circumstances.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Mark

If you want to include Canadians Capt. William Andrew White was a member of the No. 2 Const, Battalion From Pictou N.S. joined Feb. 1 1917.

Best Regards

N.S.Regt.

post-1-1086911114.jpg