The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can you help me identify this medal-ribbon?

Tom Morgan

I think Queens South Africa. Maybe DCM.

Mick

Indian General Service 1908?

i'll second that

Peter

too many stripes for IGS Id hedge @ QSA imho

I think I'd go for a queen's South Africa as well. A Regular who qualified for the 1908 IGS (Seaforths, Northumberland Fusiliers, Warwickshire Regiment) would be pretty sure to have a 1914 or 1914-15 Star up. Lots of Volunteers served in South Africa and would not necessarily have qualiifed for the Star.

...only if that picture were taken in 1918 when the ribbon was issued for the Star.

Was it usual to have it placed so high on the tunic? I've only ever seen ribbons in the normal position along the top of the pocket seam....

I'm moving back to QSA also; he seems to be Rifle Brigade (or KRRC) - and if he is an 'old sweat' they weren't in India - or at least to qualify for the pre-war IGS.

I think I'd go for a queen's South Africa as well. A Regular who qualified for the 1908 IGS (Seaforths, Northumberland Fusiliers, Warwickshire Regiment) would be pretty sure to have a 1914 or 1914-15 Star up...

Not if pictured in 1915, the Stars had yet to even be thought of at that time.

I concur with QSA, which he could have qualified for either as a regular or with the volunteers that went over.

Thanks to Pals who have posted comments since my last "thank you" message. We're taking the research forward on the balance of probaility that it's the QSA.

Tom

QSA for sure ,and going by size of unit id and black buttons also agree Rifle brigade

MC

Was it usual to have it placed so high on the tunic? I've only ever seen ribbons in the normal position along the top of the pocket seam....

this is my grandad from 1915, same position of medal ribbons.

cheers , mike.

• 2 months later...

Outside chance Transport Medal (1903) but of it was for Africa or China would there be the respective campain medal? Any ideas?

Outside chance Transport Medal (1903) but of it was for Africa or China would there be the respective campain medal? Any ideas?

Wasn't the transport medal only awarded to captains to 3rd officers on ships? on those runs for china or south Africa

MC

Wasn't the transport medal only awarded to captains to 3rd officers on ships? on those runs for china or south Africa

MC

It was pordoninantly to merchant navy officers but I found this site:

http://www.angloboerwar.com/transportmed/transport_medal.htm

Here is an extract about who got it:

Recipients

This medal was awarded to ship masters, first, second, third and chief Officers, first, second, third and chief Engineers as well as Pursers and Surgeons. The medal was also presented to those who served in 11 hospital ships employed during the two conflicts. 1,822 medals were issued.

I wouldn't rule out a medic or a marine on a hospital ship. But without knowing who is in the picture it's pure speculation.