The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Great War in Africa

David B

I have just completed reading this old book, it was published in 1987 but well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

It describes the horrors of the war in Africa and descriptions of the major actions that took place in German West Africa and East Africa.

The main cause of losses in these campaigns was not battle so much, but disease. Malaria, Tsetse fly, Blackwater fever, Jiggers (flesh boring

parasites) various diseases picked up by drinking foul water, attacks by wild bees - one such attack even stopped a battle sending both sides

fleeing - Rhinos. I could go on and on.

An example of losses sustained were the 2nd Rhodesians. They lost only 36 KIA but 10600 odd cases of sickness. They had arrived in mid 1916 and

by December only 67 wers still standing. One could go on and on describing the numbers of casualities amongst the troops.

Nevertheless the book is a good read and describes the campaigns with clarity and I can thoroughly recommend it.

david

Hello David. Last year I read 'Tip and Run: The Untold Tragedy of the Great War in Africa ' by Edward Paice on the same subject and was very moved. I hope that there will be more interest in the Great War in Africa as a number of regions in this continent were caught up in the fighting.

I will look out for this book.

Regards

I have just completed reading this old book, it was published in 1987 but well worth a read if you can get hold of it.

It describes the horrors of the war in Africa and descriptions of the major actions that took place in German West Africa and East Africa.

The main cause of losses in these campaigns was not battle so much, but disease. Malaria, Tsetse fly, Blackwater fever, Jiggers (flesh boring

parasites) various diseases picked up by drinking foul water, attacks by wild bees - one such attack even stopped a battle sending both sides

fleeing - Rhinos. I could go on and on.

An example of losses sustained were the 2nd Rhodesians. They lost only 36 KIA but 10600 odd cases of sickness. They had arrived in mid 1916 and

by December only 67 wers still standing. One could go on and on describing the numbers of casualities amongst the troops.

Nevertheless the book is a good read and describes the campaigns with clarity and I can thoroughly recommend it.

david

MB,

Yes, I think to some extent the GW in Africa has been largely overlooked, maybe the big battles/aircraft and ships were not there, however the privations the men

fighting these fights were horrendous and deserve far more recognition than they normally get. The Farwell book should be still around, I got it from a local library - in

Canberra we are blessed with very good libraries (government) and they occasionally turn up some gems. Will keep an eye out for yours.

Cheers David