The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Anzacs in Arkhangel

Dolphin

Anzacs in Arkhangel, ISBN 978 1 74066 751 7, is an excellent history of the 150 former members of the AIF who served in Russia after the Armistice. While it is chiefly concerned with the men of the Elope Force and the North Russia Relief Force, there is a coverage of the Australians who served in other parts of Russia as well. It was an unfortunate post-Armistice sideshow, which is well explained - together with just how the men came to be there - but the fighting there was, at times, quite intense. The story is enlivened by contemporary accounts by participants.

The author has a good writing style, and his story is greatly helped by his having travelled to North Russia to walk the ground and report on just what is left of the old battlefields. There's also a nominal roll of the Australians who served in Russia, medal citations, including the two VCs, and information on the post-War careers of many of the veterans.

In essence, it's a fascinating account of a long-forgotten campaign, and I heartily recommend it. I found my copy in K-Mart for $22.75, which I rate as one of the great bargains of the year.

Gareth

Thanks so much for this review Gareth.

I almost ordered this book (on-line) just yesterday (slightly dearer price!) - but changed my mind at the last minute (already have a copy of Bruce Muirden's "The Diggers who signed on for more").

You've now convinced me it's worthwhile obtaining - especially if I too can pick up a copy at Kmart!

Cheers, Frev

K-Mart :blink:

Best I go down the road tomorrow and have a look. I'll do it on the way back to the militaria and arms fair in Adelaide. :ph34r:

Spent a small fortune there today. :w00t:

Cheers Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dolphin- this is a good book. It's very well presented and deals with a complex story (due to the Australian troops being split up among a bunch of different units) quite effectively. It's nice and punchy and clearly (but concisely) establishes the context (the revolution and civil war).

My one criticism is the final chapter. The author describes his trips to north Russia- it is interesting stuff. That said though, the photographs of the author and his guides handling live ammunition (grenades, artillery rounds etc) and his descriptions of putting them on camp fires is really quite an irresponsible example to set for battlefield tourists.

MM

Margaret Throsby interviewed Michael Challinger about his book on her show at ABC Classic FM last Wednesday (21 April).

The interview can be downloaded through this link.

Chris

Luckily it was in K-mart here at 22.75 had a look at another book store d.....s, who are asking $35 for it.

David

• 2 weeks later...
Luckily it was in K-mart here at 22.75 had a look at another book store d.....s, who are asking $35 for it.

David

Good book review about it here:

http://regimental-books.com.au/2010/05/boo...ssia-1918-1919/

Mick

I liked the bit in the review that tells us that "Lennon had come to power"! John Lennon's dad?

Gareth

You sure? All I saw was a mention of Lenin! :)

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

Have finally got to read the book and it opened my eyes because I originally believed that the Russian affair was just a peace keeping force to try and keep

the Bolsheviks apart from the White Russian sympathisers. How wrong I was. Liked the style of writing, not as heavy as some, clear with lots of photos and

maps to see where everyone was. A good read.

David

You sure? All I saw was a mention of Lenin! :)

Mick

It's been corrected since I first saw it. There was definitely mention of 'Lennon'.

Cheers

Gareth