The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt P. Waller

ArmyOfficer

Can anyone here help: Looking for confirmation of commissioning to a 2/LT P. Waller, Royal Highlanders.

Bought a tunic with a Glasgow Tailor's label with a name "P. Waller" and a date of "5/18", one overseas chevron and Royal Highlanders buttons.

I've dug through about 100 (at least) London Gazette articles; getting a few notations but none to confirm Black Watch. Mr. Flory has kindly checked the 1917 Army Lists...no mention.

Can anyone w/a 1918 Army List or any Black Watch info help?

By the way..one tip: A gazette search of 1920 or 1921 dates is worthwhile, seems many of the officers resigned their commissions then and each issue is just filled with names, ranks, regiments. No mention of Lt. Waller though..

Any help will be appreciated..

• 2 months later...

Hi

I have check all three published books of Officers of The Black Watch and no joy.

In Services of Military Officers 1920 there are quite a few Wallers but no P.Waller of any regiment.

Sorry!!

I don't know if they did or didn't really; i know this particular tunic (doublet?) does though. In the last four months I've seen more than a few WWI tunics in museums; this one doesn't look like most of them but after all, I've rarely seen officer private purchase tunics that DO match.

What gets me is that I paid a researcher over $25 to research the officer...he comes back with nothing. After I had contracted him I found the PRO online site...there are at least 2 LT P. Wallers on there and other R. Wallers.

I'll keep trying I guess...