The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

On The Front Line: True World War 1 Stories

Tartan_Terrier

I picked this up at a discount book store a few days ago for the very reasonable price of 2.99. It's a compilation of stories originally published in 1930, and so far (I'm only half-way through it) it has been very interesting reading indeed. Well worth a look in my opinion.

In the words of Malcolm Brown �a rediscovered classic�. Sixty first-hand accounts of what life was really like in the Great War. In 1930, the editor of Everyman Magazine requested entries for a new anthology of Great War accounts. The result was a revolutionary book unlike any other of the period; for as Malcolm Brown notes in his introduction ‘I believe it might fairly be described as a rediscovered classic’.

It was the very first collection to reveal the many dimensions of the war through the eyes of the ordinary soldier and offers heart-stopping renditions of the very first gas attack; aerial dogfights above the trenches; the moment of going over the top.

Told chronologically, from the first scrambles of 1914, the drudgery of the war of attrition once the trenches had been dug, to the final joy of Armistice.

http://www.constablerobinson.com/?section=...esc&start=0

I got this from the same discount bookshop and I agree with your comments. I am talking about "The Works" if anyone is wondering. They do sometimes have some good WW1 titles and as you say at an excellent price.

Sue

"Rediscovered"?? I've seen a number of copies around in recent years, recommended it to others and also have had a copy on the shelf for some years - it is an excellent read.

I too have a copy of this book - only got a short way in as yet and have now been side-tracked, but I WILL get back to it.

I'v egot an original copy of this book aswell.

A good read.

Neil

• 4 years later...

Got this book a few years ago. Really interesting read actually. The Works always seems to have some cheap military history books on offer its finding them thats the trouble.

I too have saved a not inconsiderable sum when buying WW 1 books from The Works in recent years. I'll look out for this one on my visit tomorrow!

I too have a copy of this book - only got a short way in as yet and have now been side-tracked, but I WILL get back to it.

Derek

As the thread is over four years old, you might need a bit of luck finding it still in stock at The Works.

I wonder if Kim has finished her copy yet?? She's local to you and might do a swap. Ask her to show you her MF bayonet - worth the drive... :)

Paul