The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

HMS Birmingham crest

Matt Dixon

Can anyone tell me the significance of the crest being a muscular arm wielding an axe?

I can't see what that has to do with Birmingham! :huh:

Matt.

In answer to your question: Can anyone tell me the significance of the crest being a muscular arm wielding an axe?

The design was taken from the Crest of the Arms of the City of Birmingham and it indicates the industrial activity of the city.

Arthur

Did you know HMS Birmingham was responsible for the sinking of the first German U-Boat in the opening weeks of the Great War.

Terry

Terry, yes I did I have a copy of the Daily Post reporting the fact.

Thanks for the information, having lived here for 12 years and never having seen the city crest, you can see my confusion!

Thanks to both of you

• 3 weeks later...

Just one small detail to correct. Royal Naval ships and for that matter Naval Air Squadrons have badges and not crests. All such badges are official, there being a sealed pattern for each, which has been certified by the College of Arms. ;)

See attached picture of HMS Birmingham Crest.

John

post-24-1087105212.jpg

HMS Birmingham’s ship’s badge was submitted by Major Charles ffoulkes [Admiralty Advisor on Heraldry] on 14th Nov, 1920. The Sealed Pattern of the current badge was passed on 21st July 1921 for the ‘Town’ Class Cruiser of that name. The exceptions being to the badge shown by John, where the frame was a pentagonal shape and the name plate was black with gold lettering.

Any badges borne by HMS Birmingham before the dates mentioned were unofficial.

Arthur

Matt

Its not an axe, it's a smithy's hammer the arm is wielding, a representation of the industrial heritage of Brum..

Regards Doug