Looking for information on:

Christopher John Arnold

Staff Sergeant (Armr)

26162 Quebec Regiment

Died: 19/11/19

Buried: Wolverton, England

Thanks

IanC

Ian.............Here is all the information I have on Christopher Arnold, some or all of which you may already have............................

Staff Sergeant

Christopher John Arnold

14th Battalion

Quebec Regiment

Canadian Infantry

Died Tuesday 19th November 1918 age 29.

(Note you posted date of death as being 1919 but I'm 100% sure it's 1918)

Buried Wolverton Holy Trinity Churchyard, Wolverton, Buckinghamshire.

Grave Reference South West Section.

Son of Sydney & Louisa Arnold of Old Wolverton, Buckinghamshire.

Commemorated on the Old Wolverton Section of the Wolverton Memorial.

Christopher Arnold was born in the March quarter of 1889 & was the Third of five children born to Sydney & Louisa. My research has provided conflicting information regarding his place of birth. The 1901 Census lists Old Wolverton as his place of birth whilst FreeBMD states Pottersbury just up the road.

Sydney his father was born in Old Wolverton in 1857 & was a joiner by profession. His mother Louisa was born in Marleybone, London also in 1857. Christpher Arnold had two elder brothers. Ronald was three years older & worked as a Carriage Finisher at Wolverton Railway Carriage Works. Stanley was a year older. Christopher also had one younger brother Clement (3 years younger) & a younger sister Sybil who was 5 years younger.

He emigrated from Old Wolverton to Montreal. Unsure of the date but it must have been pre 1910 as in this year Christopher joined the 3rd Canadian Victoria Rifles - which I think was a Volunteer/Militia/Territorial type unit although I'm sure one of the Canadian Pals will be able to verify/correct this. He returned to England with the First Canadian Contingent upon the outbreak of war & served throughout it as an Armourer.

He died at Shorncliffe Military Camp on the evening of the 19th November 1918, eight days after the armistice was signed.

Sources for this information

Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt of Honour Register.

National Archive Of Canada.

The Wolverton Express & Bucks Weekly News - 28th August 1914.

The Wolverton Express & Bucks Weekly News – 29th November 1918.

The 1901 Census

Free.BMD

Hope this is of some help

Will