The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Germany’s Western Front

sjustice

Simon,

I've passed along your question. I think the project may be further along than suspected. I'll try to get you some hard information.

I noticed the discussion of the "Schlachten des Weltkrieges" series being based on "Der Weltkrieg," not sure if that was ever cleared up--that is not true. Many of the "Schlachten" series predate their equivalent time-frame volume of "Der Weltkrieg." The Verdun battle is an example of this. The purpose behind the two series was different.

Paul

Simon,

Here is what I can pass on:

The first volume of 1914 should be out near the end of 2012.

The translation for 1914 volume II is almost done.

The translations for 1916 and 1917 are still to be done.

The project is going strong, if slower than planned--this is due to other commitments on the part of the participants.

Paul

Simon,

Here is what I can pass on:

<snip>

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the update. I hope we get to 1917/1918 in my lifetime but I am so glad to see the project has not died.

Cheers,

Simon

...This could be the most important publication for many years. Would it be preferable to release a straight translation of all the volumes?

Any/all thoughts welcome. Please review if you can get hold of a copy

Check out the release information <a href="http://www.wlupress.wlu.ca/Catalog/humphries-maker.shtml" target="_blank">HERE</a>.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

Sorry for the very delayed response to this post--I was off GWF for a very long time.

My two cents:

The translation of "Der Weltkrieg" will be a welcome resource to the Anglophone community. I caveat that by believing it need be accompanied by a great deal of editorial commentary. I do find it a shame that great areas of operations will be omitted--namely the Eastern Front. I would like to see the work done as one on the German Army, as opposed to a mirror of British/French operations.

The series is not history, it is a learning tool to communicate the messages/lessons the official history writers intended to pass on to future generations of German officers. It must be recognized as such.

Studying the working papers of the official history writers in the Freiburg archives it is apparent just from my small area of interest--primarily 1916--that many officers who had served in the war had serious reservations about the portrayal of certain key events and figures in "Der Weltkrieg."

The history writers policy of not criticizing serving officers (unless you were Moltke, Falkenhayn or other in the cast of unfortunates) can make the narrative confusing for those who can't read between the lines.

Anyone reading "Der Weltkrieg" would be well served by having a copy of Markus Poehlmann's "Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik: Der Erste Weltkrieg. Die amtliche deutsche Militärgeschichtsschreibung, 1914-1956," at hand. Unfortunately, for those reading the English (and abridged) version of "Der Weltkrieg" that will not be possible (unless they also read German), so again--I hope the works are provided with heavy editorial background/commentary.

Paul

Simon,

Sorry for the very delayed response to this post--I was off GWF for a very long time.

<snip>

Anyone reading "Der Weltkrieg" would be well served by having a copy of Markus Poehlmann's "Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik: Der Erste Weltkrieg. Die amtliche deutsche Militärgeschichtsschreibung, 1914-1956,"

<snip>

Paul,

I couldn't agree more.

Now we Anglophones need someone to translate Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik...

Cheers,

Simon

Paul,

I couldn't agree more.

Now we Anglophones need someone to translate Kriegsgeschichte und Geschichtspolitik...

Cheers,

Simon

Absolutely, and not just for his section on "Der Weltkrieg." A great reference.

Paul

As a matter of interest what is the copyright position of "Schlachten des Weltkrieges" and "Der Weltkrieg"?

Bill,

I believe it is 70 years (?)

Paul

Having read a bit more about the project online and from the "Journal of Military and Strategic Studies," my fears about any possible lack of commentary seem unfounded.

Here is an excerpt:

"Hew Strachan and the introduction written by the editors do an excellent job of not only situating Der Weltkrieg within the historiography, but also critically examining the creation and creators of the series. Throughout the volume, the editors consistently provide useful footnotes, not only to clarify various points in the text, but also to elaborate on the relationships between the subject matter and the authors of Der Weltkrieg (the most notable example being von Haeften’s consistently negative critique of Feldmarschall von Falkenhayn’s conduct throughout 1915, which directly stemmed from von Haeften’s personal loyalty to his former commanding officer, Helmuth von Moltke the Younger, who was replaced by Falkenhayn)."

There are some very positive reviews from some heavy-hitting historians as well.

Paul

P.S. I'm sure Falkenhayn would have appreciated the promotion, but he was never a Feldmarschall :).

Paul,

P.S. I'm sure Falkenhayn would have appreciated the promotion, but he was never a Feldmarschall .

Or even promoted to Generaloberst for that matter.

Regards

Glenn

This may have been touched on in other threads (certainly should have been), but what particular difficulties are the translators going to face when it comes to 1918?

...and can I put in my request for them to go there next! :ph34r:

Cheers,

Simon

Time will be the biggest difficulty. The 1918 volume is about the same length as one of the several 1914 volumes. If the focus is on the Western Front only then there is less to translate. It would still be a big task.

The coverage for the 1918 Spring offensives is more extensive than for the rest of 1918. This might mean that more editorial notes are needed.

Robert

Thank you chaps as someone whose interest in the German side of the war i feel these books will improve my understanding, well i hope so

Regards Terry.

<Snip>

The coverage for the 1918 Spring offensives is more extensive than for the rest of 1918. This might mean that more editorial notes are needed.

Robert

Thank you Robert.

It certainly gets my vote!

Cheers,

Simon

• 1 year later...

Thought I would bump this thread to see if anyone has any more information on the first 1914 volume. I know that the book hasn't been published yet as I pre-ordered early last year but cancelled when it was apparent Laurier was pushing back the publishing date month by month, then pre-ordered again this February with the same result, I even sent an e-mail to Laurier but no response. It's odd (I guess) that their website still lists July, 2013 as the release date - any new information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

I ordered this book back in February, for a June delivery, I contacted the seller, and they have no idea when it will be released.

Terry.

Thanks Terry, just for fun I looked on the Barnes and Noble site (where I pre-ordered) and found that they are no longer offering the book!

Looks like I need to cancel (again) - guess we will just have to wait for another year or two and buy at the full price.

Dave

Thanks Terry, just for fun I looked on the Barnes and Noble site (where I pre-ordered) and found that they are no longer offering the book!

Looks like I need to cancel (again) - guess we will just have to wait for another year or two and buy at the full price.

Dave

I ordered mine at Foyles, I am undecided what to do

terry

If you go to the Wilfred Laurier University Press web site you can list a notification to be advised when the 1914 volume is published. It is listed as currently 'unavailable'.

So no one has a copy of this yet? I tried to get one in July and thought it had already sold out. I think it will be worth the wait.

Not been published yet, can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I checked the WLU Press website today and now the book is scheduled for release this September.........we will see.

Dave

Just an update, I checked the WLU Press website today and now the book is scheduled for release this September.........we will see.

Dave

I am not holding my breath.

Terry