The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

AEF base 7 Hdqtrs

Guest Dazzy

:rolleyes:

I have built a site with my GGfather WW1 diaries (see below url address :)

http://My Webpage

in which I learnt that in december 1917 he left his 142 th RTI (French 142 th Territorial Infanterie Regiment) to be despatch to the US La Rochelle- La Pallice Port depending from base 7 HeadQuarter on the french west coast.

I need to write the last chapter : "1918 in the AEF" and I look for some informations in this purpose.

Does someone know the US units linked to this Base 7 and what kind of staff my GGFather French Major Jean Maurice ADDE could have been linked to ?

Thank you in advance.

Though far from an expert on the American Expeditionary Force, I suspect that your kinsman was attached directly to the headquarters of the base itself.

The good news is that the records of the base can be found at the US National Archives at College Park, MD - just outside of Washington DC. The bad news is that these are textual records - big boxes full of paper - rather than microfilm records that can be ordered by mail or electronic records that can be consulted on line.

You can find out more about these records by going to the web-site of the US National Archives - www.nara.gov - and finding the list of records in Record Group 120, Records of the American Expeditionary Force.

Bon chance ... et bon chasse!

Hi Dazzy,

I have 2 pages of information on AEF Base 7 from the US Army in World War I. It's in adobe and when I try to cut and paste it is riddled with typos. if you would e-mail me your addres I'd be happy to mail you the information.

take care,

Neil