The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Transloy Ridge November 5th 1916

Guest REdwards

Guest REdwards

Morning

Recently my family discovered notes made by my Grandfather (George Hemming Army "nd Battalion Worcestershire number 29831) whilst he was serving in 2 battalion Worcestershire regiment. Evidence some of it antidotal seems to point to the fact that he took part in the flanking attackes on the following German trenches Hazy, Bontzka (part of the offensive at Transloy Ridge) starting on 5th November 1916. It was during this attack that Lieutenant Eugene Paul Bennett was awarded a VC for his bravery and leadership. For all we know our Grandfather was one of the few to follow this man at the time.

I an unable to establish which company he was in, but I do know that on 7th November he was badly wounded in the chest operated on in Grove Farm where a bullet removed and sent further down the line to Etaples for 4 days then sent to Manchester Royal Infirmary until Jan 1917.

According tmy Grandfathter's notes taken at the time on 1st Novmber 1916 he took part in a frontal attack on German trenches known as Hazy & Bontzka. The attack failed only 5 of his pantoon were left alive.

I am interested in any help you can give me, Trench maps, details about others involved in this action as I am hoping to put togther a narrative that covers both the military and personal aspects of this attack.

My Grandfathers daughter is stiill alive and as he never talked about France her and the rest of our family are eager to know and appreciate the trauma, experiences and the sacrifices he and his camrades faced. We intend to visit France some time this year as a mark of respect.

Prior to the above 24th August 1916 he saw action at Deville Wood & High Wood. On 24th Deville Woos he talks about going over the top with Sgt Secombe and following this failed attacks having to help bury two friends: a Joe Framer & Whicker after a shell burst over their trench. Again any details to help with this would be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks for your time regarding this please can you help.

CWGC link to Pte Joseph Henry Farmer: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=751171 KiA 21st August 1916

Cannot find Whicker

2 Worcs attacked Tea Trench on 24th August

Attacked Boritzka and Hazy Trenches 1st Nov along with 1/9th HLI - thigh deep mud leading waves cut down by MG fire.

Attacked again 5th Nov from French trenches more successful, 200 casualties.

The National Archives DVD (N and M Press) indicates that on the attached map (November 1916) Hazy Trench runs through T5a,b and d to T6 c. However, it is not named. I could find no trace of Bontzka Trench. It seems to be more or less the right area.

post-42671-1272631454.jpg

Roger

Guest REdwards
CWGC link to Pte Joseph Henry Farmer: http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=751171 KiA 21st August 1916

Cannot find Whicker

2 Worcs attacked Tea Trench on 24th August

Attacked Boritzka and Hazy Trenches 1st Nov along with 1/9th HLI - thigh deep mud leading waves cut down by MG fire.

Attacked again 5th Nov from French trenches more successful, 200 casualties.

Thank you for your help

This may help a little, Hazy trench was in the maze of trenches to the east of Boritska trench , Hazy , Frosty, Mirage etc.

Colin.

post-25203-1272647570.jpg

Hi

Sounds like "a life well-lived" by your grandfather!!

I've got a hand-drawn map showing Hazy Trench taken from the notebook of a London Scottish officer, and his copy of a spirit banda map issued just before the 56th Division assault on Transloy Ridge on 7th October. The trenches are shown corrected to 4th October. There is also a map with Hazy Trench in the 56th Division history.

The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War provides accounts and maps of the High Wood and Delville Wood operations. The work by Stacke was part of the Worcestershire County War Memorial, in paper rather than stone form, and so I feel that any profit made from the sale of first or subsequent editions should go towards the upkeep of all Great War memorials in Worcestershire.

If you would like scans of any of the above, please PM me your email address

Regards

Martin

• 14 years later...

Connaughtranger - I hope this note finds you well many years after your original post above !

I have just read the trail while researching a young 18/19 year old Rifleman (Digby Mark Freeman # 1616) of B Coy 1/5th Bn London Rifles of the 56th Division who died of wounds 12th October 1916 after the dreadful repulse at Hazy Trench on the 12th.

I would love to gain sight of a copy of the maps you mention (and any other relevant books I should read/info/pamphlets, etc. as I try and build up a narrative of this boy's final hours to better honour his service.

Thanks !

Paul.

Hazy trench was in an area with meteorological names, Dewdrop, Rainy etc. Many around there were heavily shelled, re-dug, shelled, re-dug again so "moved".

It is easy to find using TrenchMapper, just put Hazy in the search box. Sadly many of the 65 maps (change in the left panel) offered do not show trench names, but once you know its location, maps without the name show the actual trench.

Howard

Hazy2.jpg

Hazy1.jpg