The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Raf Tilstock Prees Heath site

Leveret lodge

Evening all.

I'm new on this forum but have some good news!

I live on Raf Tilstock airfield right next to the runway. I have been talking to the land owner of the site who has owned the site since the family bought it after it closed.

He says he has a load of old maps covering the site dating back to the 1900's. Also he told me where the chapel was plus there are unmarked graves around my house . I hoping to get hold of the maps Wednesday. As soon as I find all the infomation I will post it up.

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Welcome to the forum. That's an intro to behold.

De he tell you who the unmarked graves were?

Cheers Andy.

Phil,

Welcome to the forum. That's an intro to behold.

De he tell you who the unmarked graves were?

Cheers Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the welcome, How's it going in Oz?

Mate, I have got the maps dating back to 1880. I will have a good look at them Thursday due to work comitments.

Looking at it, the chapel and the grave may be civi on the site. The whole site is a major jigsaw puzzle but i'm on it.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Sorry if you already know this, although i might be wrong. I heard there was a chaple on the site, but ceased in the 40's when the RAF came? The military base in WW1 used Tilstock churchyard and cemetery for its burials and later in WW2 a few military burials took place in Ash. There are definately no known military burials in chaplegrounds.

It's much the same as Market Drayton police station, that too was built on the site of a former chaple and contains many a burial. Best option for the burials is to visit or contact the Shropshire Archives, they might have a burial register.

Sorry i cant be of more help.

Neil

Thanks for that Neil.

I'm on foaling watch tonight, but will have a chat with you during the week.

Thanks again

cheers

Phil