The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

German Internees on Isle of Man (Bakery?)

Guest FINDRUCKERT

Guest FINDRUCKERT

:wacko: Does anybody have any idea how I can find any ingormation about my great grandfather who was interned on the Isle of Man during the first wolrld war? I have read the booklet "living with the wire", but am none the wiser as to where I can look for records.

My grandfather was Ludwig Wolfgang RUCKERT (Louis) he was a baker by trade, and I wonder if he may have worked as a baker in the camp. The booklet has a photo of the bakery, with a gentleman who COULD be Louis.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eleanor

Guest Simon Bull

Eleanor,

I have little personal knowledge of this subject, but my wife is a descendant of German immigrants and had distant relatives who were interned in the Great War and other relatives whose shops were attacked following the sinking of the Lusitania. She is a member of the Anglo-German Family History Society whose web site is at

http://www.art-science.com/agfhs/

The Society will be able to give you any information which you want upon this subject. The subscription is relatively cheap and the Society is well worth joining if you are a descendant of Germans who emigrated to Britain.

The Society has published a very helpful book which my wife has a copy of called

Civilian Internment in Britain during the First World War. Newly revised and illustrated version. [10.00 pounds].

This book is mentioned on the web site together with details of how you can purchase it.

Hope you find it helpful.

Regards,

Simon Bull