The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembering Fromelles Book

salientpoints

Remembering Fromelles: A New Cemetery for a New Century.

Is the title of a new paperback publication coming out in June/July in time for a new exhibition to commemorate the Fromelles project at the Imperial War Museum. This is published by the CWGC.

Price: £9.95

ISBN: 9780956507402

Foreword: HRH The Duke of Kent

Compiled by: Julie Summers

Contributing Authors: Kate Brady, Professor Margaret Cox, Dr Peter Jones, Dr Louise Loe, Nigel Steel

In addition to some stories relating the identified to family today this commemorative publication includes a detailed history of the battle as well as charting the story of the discovery of the mass graves, the archaeology behind the excavations, the question of identification, process of reburial and the construction undertaken of the first new Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery since the end of the Second World War.

It will be available online and from all good bookshops of course - I would recommend placing orders early to avoid any dissapointement as I see there are around 4500 places reserved in the field of remembrance for the official ceremony in July so it won't be long before it goes out of print.

Cheers

Ryan

post-1391-1273734301.jpg

Ryan,

Thanks for the heads up, best I go and place an order.

Cheers Andy.

Ryan,

Thanks for the heads up, best I go and place an order.

Cheers Andy.

Can be pre-ordered on Amazon UK for £8.96 with free delivery

I have no connection to the above company; with the exception of giving them significant amounts of my money :lol:

Andy

I will wait and see what readers think of the book. From the information in the post it does appear that the main thrust of the book will be with the building of the new war cemetery as evidenced by the sub title “A new cemetery for a new century”. I could of course be wrong about this but what I would like to see is a book dedicated to the story of the original finding of the location of the pits and details of all of the men so far identified expanded to cover where possible as much personal information as is available. As I say I will wait to see the reaction of members of the forum to the new book first.

Norman

Edited to add:

I cannot see each of the 4500 attending the ceremony actually buying the book as stated in post one, if so it will be some kind of record for a book sale. If this did happen isn’t there such a thing as a reprint?.

I will wait and see what readers think of the book. From the information in the post it does appear that the main thrust of the book will be with the building of the new war cemetery as evidenced by the sub title “A new cemetery for a new century”. I could of course be wrong about this but what I would like to see is a book dedicated to the story of the original finding of the location of the pits and details of all of the men so far identified expanded to cover where possible as much personal information as is available. As I say I will wait to see the reaction of members of the forum to the new book first.

Norman

Edited to add:

I cannot see each of the 4500 attending the ceremony actually buying the book as stated in post one, if so it will be some kind of record for a book sale. If this did happen isn’t there such a thing as a reprint?.

The CWGC is a non-commercial organisation so is not interested in "harry potter-esq" types of sales. The fact 4500 people may attend the ceremony will hardly be ground-breaking for a book sale. I was mearly pointing out the number of people expected to attend in France alone. Obviously many more will watch via TV or go to the IWM exhibition. You can visit this from July 1 and see the book and make your own mind up. It does cover a bit of everything to be fair but dont expect a detailed history or archeological survey. Nigel Steel's coverage of the battle though is very thorough. You would probably be better contacting the team for that but at least the book will give you some information and some otherwise unseen photographs.

Cheers