The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

This Carnival of Hell

phil andrade

News reaches me that Richard Baumgartner has recently had a book published about the Somme through German perspective. After Jack and Ralph have made such triumphant contributions, I'm surprised that any one else would have dared attempt another account. Forgive me if this has already been raised on the forum. The cost on Amazon is in excess of £104 ( a hundred guineas WHAT!) so I'll refrain from clicking today. Any pals seen or read this book, any comments ?

Phil

Phil, I've just had a look at the "Abebooks" website where it is listed as Brand New, available from the US - from two booksellers, one at £34 and one at £40, both including P & P. Whereas Amazon does include it at £104. Nothing on other British bookseller sites. I suspect you'll have to wait until one of our American members pony's up the money and buys it; do any of them live in Portland (close by Powell's City of Books)?

Hello,

I have purchased this book and though I have not read through it completely I must say what I have read has impressed me. Book is based on numerous first person accounts gathered over years of research/correspondence by the author. There is also quite a few photos of the actual participants. I purchased my copy through the Barnes and Noble website for $40.00 (included shipping in US). The author is a respected Civil War researcher/author and also has a great interest in "the other side" during the first world war. With the small amount of titles in english on this subject I would strongly suggest getting this title as I am sure it was published as a limited print run. On a seprate note I actually am in Portland Oregon today with a planned trip to Powell's Books! I am happy about this though my wife not so much!

Cheers,

Todd

Celer, Silens, Mortalis

Also 'Scorched Earth: The Germans on the Somme 1914-1918' by Renz, Krumeich and Hirschfeld (ISBN 1844159736)

Robert