The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

REALITIES OF WAR by Philip Gibbs

GRANVILLE

Whilst recently in a secondhand book shop, I've come across a book: Realities of War. I wondered if any other members were already familiar and if so what they make of it. The book I have is a first edition, printed in 1920, and at the moment I've no idea if it was ever reprinted. The author Philip Gibbs claims to have been a newspaper journalist at the outbreak of war, and was amongst the first to get over to France. What puzzles me about the book is the way there is only a brief preface, and no background information on the author. Unless I've missed it, Gibbs doesn't actually say which paper he was working for. Despite these particular uncertainties about the credentials of the author, I found the book instantly readably, so made the purchase curious to see what else might be contained in its pages.

According to Gibbs, as a journalist he was suppressed in what he could say during the wars duration, and it would appear that once hostilities ceased and the dust had sufficiently settled, he set about the book intent on telling it how he really saw it.

The opening chapter consists of Gibbs offering his observations of the senior commanders of the British Army, based on his time in their company; all very interesting in my opinion. The following chapter contains his observations of the 'New Army’; bearing in mind he apparently had ready access to the most senior figures as well as the OR's. The account of the fighting around Hooge during July/Aug 1915 is very sobering.

Every now and then you get snippets of information, fairly trivial to the writer, but of interest to researches I feel sure. At one point he describes the first experiences of water logged/muddy trenches and describes how the men he encountered at that time had stripped off their trousers, puttees and socks and were moving about with bare feet in sodden boots and shirt tails flapping about in the mud. I've never come across this one before. In another interesting observation, he describes the moments before certain men went 'over the top' mentioning how one of the only sounds to be heard was the occasional 'clink' of entrenching tools which were fastened to the barrels of their rifles. Another new one on me.

Plenty more of the book yet to read, but would very much like to know if anyone else has come across this one before?

Dave Upton

Hi Dave, just had a look, and it is available online. Another one to add to the Library on forum, thanks for that. Nice to have a first edition eh?

Cheers Mike

just Google Philip Gibbs and you should get plenty on him. He was one of the leading war correspondents in France, all of whom were kept on a tight rein by the military and expected to act as national cheerleaders. What they wrote was

largely detested by the men in the front line, and also to some extent by the correspondents themselves, who felt they were prostituting their talents. As a journalist myself, I would be interested in reading Gibbs's book.

He features in Philip Knightley's book on the history of war reporting, 'The First Casualty'.

Enjoy

cheers Martin B

Thanks Martin, very helpfull. The impression I get, is that Gibbs got very close to the men at the sharp end, and I imaging that during the war he determined that one day he would set the record straight. To my way of thinking he does it in fine style with this book. Highly recommended reading.

Dave Upton

He was the brother of Major Hamilton Gibbs, and wrote the forward to his book 'Gun Fodder'.

Robert

Thanks Martin, very helpfull. The impression I get, is that Gibbs got very close to the men at the sharp end, and I imaging that during the war he determined that one day he would set the record straight. To my way of thinking he does it in fine style with this book. Highly recommended reading.

Dave Upton

G'day Granville,

I was fortunate to be able to purchase a first edition of Gibbs' "Battles of the Somme" (1917) from the collection of the late John Laffin - a noted (and oft maligned, undeservedly) Australian military historian of the Great War.

I found the work very informative and very readable despite some obvious propagandist undertones.

We both now own very useful and collectible items look after yours I hope it is enlightening.

Regards

Pop

(Sean McManus)

Cheers Sean.

I'd be interested to hear how you think the way in which he wrote 'Realities' compares with the work you have, and indeed which he actually wrote first. I can't say I've detected any undertones in the book I have, other than what to me appears to be a determination to tell it how it really was; hence the title. I've always preferred the firsthand accounts, and written at a time when the memories were still at their most vivid only adds to the value in the material to me. 'Beggars belief' just does not do the subject matter sufficient justice in my view.

Dave Upton

I have the American edition of this which is entitled "Now It Can Be Told" in its original jacket (very striking). I bought it on E-bay a few years ago and haven't read it yet. If you have a good impression, I will give it a go now.

I have the Hutchison's (6d.) Pocket Library version - 1938 - with the updated preface written by Gibbs talking of the 'dangers and fears' of Germany under Hitler. Makes you think when reading the accounts that follow. Still very readable.

• 2 years later...

Just bought a like-new reprint for the Library Association, out of my neighbouring bookseller's 10p box.

;)

I do enough screen-staring.

:blink:

Kath.

How on earh can anyone suggest that criticsm of Laffin is "Undeserved". He was highly opinionated - and his opinions were frequently wrong and ill judged. I cannot think of a book by the man that desrves shelf space.