The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ship Torpedoed 20/12/17

Greenwoodman

I'm researching a man (Army Pte 1/4th Cheshires) believed to have been drowned when his ship was torpedoed. SDGW gives 372 died at sea that day.

Can anyone identify the ship for me? My man is commemorated on the Chatby Memorial in Egypt, so probably a Med sinking?

Waverley (3835 tons) torpedoed 33 miles NE from Cape Ivi 20.12.17. 22 fatalities.

Fiscus (4782 tons) torpedoed 10 miles NNE from Cape Ivi same day. 1 fatality.

Cape Ivi is in Algeria

Thanks Terry. But I screwed the date up!! ;) Its actually the 30/12/17. 1st/4th Cheshires had 18 casualties alone that day (died at sea) and another 354 suffered the same fate!

Only loss for that day in Med was 'Aragon' (9688 tons) torpedoed at entrance to Alexandria. 19 crew fatalities. 380 passengers (troops) not recovered and whose names are on the Chatby Memorial. 610 died in total.

For future reference, 'Died at sea' also included those who died of wounds/illness aboard hospital ships.

There was for about ten seconds Richard, it didn't work though. Sorry about that, let's do it the long way.

There was a thread about the Aragon some time ago. Go to search; type in Aragon and make sure that the appropriate box is set for "more than 365 days". If that doesn't work let me know and I will e-mail you the details.

Terry (technofailure)Reeves

Thanks Terry, found several threads that mention the Aragon, and a couple of sites for photos, so thanks a lot.

Richard

If you find the definitive "potted history" can you please let me know. There's a 1/4th on the Stockport Art Gallery memorial who died on Aragon (Alfred Conway - 16288)

John

OK John. One on the Hyde memorial too.

Next time I'm at the PRO I'll probably have a look at those files.

Not going to be able to make the NW meeting on Saturday - apologies.

Richard

How come you're looking at Hyde? Bit off your patch, isn't it?

Looks like tomorrow's going to be just Old Chap and me - Mark can't make it either. What's the betting we don't spot each other?

John

Two Sandbach men on the Hyde memorial! :D Anyway Carl's Cam makes it easy!!

If you wear your pink pants Old Chap'll have no problem!! :P

Tony

Many thanks. Just the sort of "potted history" I needed. I suspect it'll also "do nicely" for Richard.

John

I note that SDGW gives my man as having "died". Is this the usual definition for someone drowning after a ship has been attacked by the enemy (as opposed to Killed in Action)?

John

The 18 Cheshires are all listed as "Died, At Sea". In fact you can do a search for the date with those limitations on it.

Richard

Yep. I realised that you could do that search. When I was looking at my man, my initial reaction had been that he had simply "died" "at sea" (f you know what I mean). It was only when I found a newspaper cutting referring to the Aragon that I presumed he had drowned. I accept the definition as it is, but it does seem a little odd to me - would have thought they had died as a result of enemy action as much as troops marching to their position and killed by a shell.

No big deal, though. Just means you have to be careful not to make any assumptions about what might have happened when someone is at sea.

John