The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Private J.S. Moneypenny CEF

marc leroux

Private Moneypenney (487370) was killed on 16 November 1917, probably at Passchendaele. His battalion is not listed on the canadian virtual war memorial, but his attestation papers have "6th (handwritten) Overseas Universities Co" listed.

I was thinking that this might refer to the 6th Battalion, and was wondering if anyone that had a nominal role could look this up for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

marc

Marc, according to the CWGC he was with the PPCLI. I find the CWGC site gives more information than the Canadian Virtual War Memorial (save for when photos are added to an individual) so that's the one I tend to use.

CWGC

Hi Marc,

He was in the Princess Pat's see above. I find it helps to cross reference the Canadian Virtual War memorial with the Commonwealth War Graves site.

Take care,

Neil

He was with the Princess Pats.

The Universities' companies were raised specifically during 1915-1916 to reinforce the Pats. Nicholson points out the inefficiency of using prime officer material in this way, but that is how it happened. After 1916, the Pats were reinforced like any other Ontario battalion.

Or at least, this is how I understand the situation.

Hi Marc:

From the PPCLI's official history and nominal roll:

487370 Pte. J. Moneypenny; original unit 5th University Company; joined the PPCLI in the field September 21, 1916; KIA at Passchendaele, November 16, 1917.

Garth

Thanks to all, for the info!

marc