The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

What details were Stamped on a medal?

Johno7439

Hi folks, apologies if this has been answered many times before. I am looking to buy a replacement set of my great-grandfathers medals to give to my dad on his birthday. I was wondering what information was "stamped" around the medal and in what order it was done in. If it is the same as what I have on my Op Telic and Op Herrick medals then that makes life simpler. Any light which may be thrown upon this would be greatly appreciated.

My great-grandfathers service details are as follows:

28250 Pte Peter Johnstone 6th Bn Seaforth Highlanders

Yours Aye

Ewan

Well the medals would have 28250 PTE P.J. Johnstone Sea Highlanders impressed on it or Sea High the rest is no issue as to being correct

MC

Dear Ewan

I think you should be carefull when arranging the naming on your Great Grandfather's replacement medals.

The easy way to confirm how the medals were named is to check the Medal Card, and looking up your Great Grandfather in Ancestry you may have the wrong Regiment.

He is shown as also serving in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders! It is not very clear but I believe the British War Medal and Victory Medal he received should be named 277246 Pte P Johnstone, A. & S. H. This can be confirmed if you check the Medal Rolls held at the National Archives (WO 329) Peter's Medal card reference G/104 B27 page 2295.

The medals are named to the first Regiment, he was first serving with when he landed in a War Zone ie France and Flanders.

Your Great Grandfather later transferred to the Seaforth Highlanders numbered 285250. If however, you wished the Medals to be named as a Seaforth Highlander (using the Customer is always right adage) then use 285250 Pte P Johnstone, Sea. Highrs.

The Battalion number was not added (as a rule) on the BWM/VM pairs.

Regretfully, due to an illness, I am unable to get up to the National Archives at the present time otherwise I would have been only too pleased to look up the Medal Roll.

Regards

Trevor (Sepoy)

Dear Ewan

I think you should be carefull when arranging the naming on your Great Grandfather's replacement medals.

The easy way to confirm how the medals were named is to check the Medal Card, and looking up your Great Grandfather in Ancestry you may have the wrong Regiment.

He is shown as also serving in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders! It is not very clear but I believe the British War Medal and Victory Medal he received should be named 277246 Pte P Johnstone, A. & S. H. This can be confirmed if you check the Medal Rolls held at the National Archives (WO 329) Peter's Medal card reference G/104 B27 page 2295.

The medals are named to the first Regiment, he was first serving with when he landed in a War Zone ie France and Flanders.

Your Great Grandfather later transferred to the Seaforth Highlanders numbered 285250. If however, you wished the Medals to be named as a Seaforth Highlander (using the Customer is always right adage) then use 285250 Pte P Johnstone, Sea. Highrs.

The Battalion number was not added (as a rule) on the BWM/VM pairs.

Regretfully, due to an illness, I am unable to get up to the National Archives at the present time otherwise I would have been only too pleased to look up the Medal Roll.

Regards

Trevor (Sepoy)

True except london regiments all had number of the regiment. As to the medal index card i did not look. MC

not very clear but I believe the British War Medal and Victory Medal he received should be named 277246 Pte P Johnstone, A. & S. H.

Trevor (Sepoy)

Forgive me for stating the obvious but the name and regiment would be all in capitals and it would be stamped, not engraved.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ May 26 2010, 02:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Forgive me for stating the obvious but the name and regiment would be all in capitals and it would be stamped, not engraved.

I had capitals and impressed in the first reply .MC

Trevor (Sepoy), In a somewhat vague answer to the whole Argyll issue, Peter had enlisted in 1916, in the 14th Bn Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (I think) but was kept in the regimental football team as he was somewhat of a football player, having starred for Celtic before the war. He transferred to the Seaforths in order to fight, lazily I have done no research into the 14th Bn A and SH so don't know if he first went overseas with them, suppose that is now my afternoon's work! Many thanks for the information though

Regards

Ewan

I had capitals and impressed in the first reply .MC

I appreciate that, MC - I just wanted to ensure that Ewan didn`t take this:-

"If however, you wished the Medals to be named as a Seaforth Highlander then use 285250 Pte P Johnstone, Sea. Highrs."

too literally!

Ewan,

Some info you might want to consider before going ahead with this:

You may have the service number wrong as I have pulled up the MIC for him and it is 285250. He was a Private and served in the Seaforth Highlanders, HOWEVER, his first Regiment listed is the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders.

Therefore, from what I understand is that the first regiment is the one that goes on the medals.

Oh - and the back of the MIC states that the 'OC requests auth to dispose of medals'.

Hope this helps

Cheers Andy.

Ewan,

Some info you might want to consider before going ahead with this:

You may have the service number wrong as I have pulled up the MIC for him and it is 285250. He was a Private and served in the Seaforth Highlanders, HOWEVER, his first Regiment listed is the Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders.

Therefore, from what I understand is that the first regiment is the one that goes on the medals.

Oh - and the back of the MIC states that the 'OC requests auth to dispose of medals'.

Hope this helps

Cheers Andy.

Fat fingers were to blame for the error in the number. I may err on the side of wisdom and have A and SH put on them. I only have a copy of the front of his MIC, by what do you suppose the comment regarding the OC means? In another random wandering off topic, I want to get both medals court mounted, which order would they run?

Yours Aye

Ewan