The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

MM in 1919

paul.pengelly

Samuel Ernest Langham ,Sgt,49202,109Bty,25th Bde.Gazetted for MM 20th August 1919,if it takes 4 months from award to appearing in the paper that makes it May 1919.?

Presumably he is part of the BAOR. I thought it was an Army of occupation,was there any fighting ?,or any other reasons for awarding a "Bravery in the field" medal,where there a lot of MMs awarded in Germany 1919?

Anybody know the answer?,as there seems to be very little out there on the occupation in Googleland

Thanks

Paul

Most 1919/20 Awards are just late awards {ie;For late 1918 Actions in F&F: disregard the dubious 3~4 Months* from Recommendation to LG Promulgation} @ the end of hostilities requests were sent out for lists of those considered to be worthy of such recommendation,from which these later awards were selected,that said some were for campaigns such as Salonika,Russia,The Black Sea,Mesopotamia,India;PoW Escapers; etc where there was still ongoing Campaigning~not directly WW1,the LG should usually indicate if the Award is from one of these.

* At best this is only a {very} rough guide;'tis by no means set in stone,early 1916 awards could be for pre inception actions of 1914/15,or only a few weeks after the event some[most?] of the 1919 awards could be for early/late 1918

All of the 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters had their medals gazetted in July 1919 for actions on 4 November 1918.

Steve M

Thanks lads ,that confirms what I was starting to think was the solution ,they were just a lot later than 3/4 months behind,(November to August 9 months) That will make it a bit easier looking through the local papers for any mention of the award,it took me 2 hours to scan through a months worth the other day and at that rate if it was reported in November 1918,I have saved myself about 7 trips to the record office and about 14 hours of eye strain...

Thanks again

Paul