The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Empress of Britain

Helen82

Hi,

My grandfather, Pte. Joseph Farrell 45631 CMGC was returned to Canada on the Empress of Britain in May 1919.

I would be interested to know if there was a ship list anywhere that would show details of him.

Many thanks,

Anita.

Hi Anita:

You know the military, they love to make lists. :lol: If a passenger manifest or embarkation roll still exists, it would probably be held by the National Archives of Canada. I've seen many battalion embarkation/nominal rolls for units leaving for England, but none for battalions returning home. Now that I think of it, that seems a bit odd. :huh:

Garth

anita

Sometimes list are published in local newspapers of the time I have them for the 25th and seen them for the 85th battalion. Some public archives carry them if you can find out where the ship docked and disembarked the troops and if the unit was a local one. It is a long shot but may be worth a try. You may try your grandfathers hometown paper it may also mention him.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

Hello Garth and N.S.Regt.,

Many thanks for your replies.

My grandfather's hometown was Liverpool but he enlisted in the C.E.F. whilst working in Canada. He was discharged at Toronto.

I'll try the Canadian archives.

Regards,

Anita.

Hi Helen,

I don't know if this helps but my Great Uncle was in the 1st Btn CMGC and sailed on the Empress of Britain for Canada on April 26, 1919.

Take care,

Neil

Hello Neil,

I read the dates incorrectly on my grandfather's Form B103. He indeed sailed on the Empress of Britain on the same day as your great uncle. He was discharged at No. 2 Dis.Depot on May 5th 1919.

Do you have anything on the embarkation records or even the unit? I'm just trying to find anything I can about my grandad, and the icing on the cake would be a photograph!

Regards,

Anita.

1st Btn CMGC

Hi Anita,

I don't think you'll find him mentioned by name but above is the war diary for the 1st BTn CMGC. Sorry for calling you Helen!

:wacko:

If you do a search for CMGC you should find a link to a first rate webiste on the CMGC maintained by twp members of this forum.

Take care,

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Anita.

Hi Anita,

His Service Record is available in the PAC.

He was born 14 Sept 1877 & his records are in RG150, Acc 1992-93/166, Box 3004-48.

Bryan

Hello Bryan,

Many thanks for your reply. I have a copy of his Attestation Papers from the Archives of Canada website and some of his service record but it looks like there could be more information on him.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Anita.

Glad to help out Anita, I think you could say that about all those records!

Bryan