The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Captain Royal Army Veterinary Corps

mhifle

Hi,

This is a picture of Captain P MacCormack of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.

Would anyone be able to identify his medal ribbons?

Regards Mark

post-14045-1275484700.jpg

Well I may be wrong but judging from the angle of the photo they could well be BWM, VM and a foreign award with a button rosette in the centre - possibly Legion of Honour (France) or Order of Leopold (Belguim)

A quick search in the London Gazette produced a Captain P.J.MacCormack - Royal Army Vetinary Corps - this could be your man. I could not find him in the 1920 Army Honours and Awards (Foreign Awards) or in Military Services of Officers 1920 or 1922.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/314...upplements/8368

Suggest you contact Royal Army Vetinary Corps - they have a website -they may be able to help.

Philip

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the help.

Yes that is the same man in the London Gazette.

Regards Mark

On the medals front, in case it may help anyone with identification, he served for a period in Egypt at the end of the war

Normally I'd just say 'Nah, it's a Victory Medal' - but the presence of what appears to be a round device on the ribbon suggests a pre-Victory Medal issue foreign award. The stripes on the ribbon point me - with the Egyptian service - in the direction of the Order of the Nile, 4th Class?

Hi,

Thanks. So would that put the photo between 1915 and 1919?

"The Egyptian Order of the Nile was instituted in 1915. It was awarded for services to the nation. The order has five classes; Grand Cordon, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight."

Regards Mark

Thanks photo has to be 1919/20 then as he was killed in Nov 1920 while in Dublin.

Regards Mark

I suspect what some people have seen as a device on the centre of the viewers right ribbon is actually just a slightly badly rendered part of the Victory Medal ribband (which taken using orthochromatic film, as illustrated below, goes very dark). This is also supported by the fact the second ribband is slightly wider than the British War Medal ribband (as the VM ribband is), but not wide enough for it to be a three ribband group. So bog standard BWM and VM pair in my opinion.

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Tsr2GdA

r2GdA.jpg

And to compare with the original photo:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqbsUTS

bsUTS.jpg

Yeah not to much doubt at all,standard pair for my money.

MC