The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal Engineers Died in Great War

joanbelge

Have recently purchased a book published 1921. It lists all Royal Enginners who were killed in Great War. Happy to do look ups, it may be that not always more info than on CWGC but have found some info that not already found through CWGC

best wishes

Joan

Hello Joan

Sounds very interesting, does the book list men by unit. As I am researching the 55th & 59th Field Coys.

Thanks Inniskilling

Is this a copy of the RE volume of Soldiers Died in the Great War?

Inniskilling; You can do a search for casualties from any particular RE unit using the search function on the CD-ROM version of SDGW. Probably any reasonably sized reference/family history section in your local library will have a copy.

Yes I think it is volume 4 of a series. The names are arranged aphabetically.

Joan

Hi Joan

Thanks for your look ups offer.

Is there any information in your book regarding 2nd Lieuts R E Bradley and A C Hopwood and Cpl J F Storey?

Best regards

Keith

Hi Joan

Thanks for your look ups offer.

Is there any information in your book regarding 2nd Lieuts R E Bradley and A C Hopwood and Cpl J F Storey?

Best regards

Keith

There are 11 Bradley's but no R E if you have any more details i.e. part of country maybe able to suggest if any of the 11 may be your man ,likewise 5 Storeys but no J F and no Hopwoods PM me if you have more details

best wishes Joan

Keith; Can I point out that you're looking for LIEUTENANTS Bradley and Hopwood; all the volumes of SDGW that are arranged by regiment only cover other-ranks, there's a separate volume for officers. The information in the officer's volume will only give you regiment and date of death and, I think, cause of death.

In any case, the volume that Joan is very kindly offering to do look up's in is for other ranks only. So only JF Storey will be in there.

Hello Joan,

I wonder if you look up a young Sapper for me please.

RIDGWAY, Frank.

182nd Tunnelling Company.

KIA 02/04/1916.

He is not listed on CWGC.

Apart from his MIC I have no other service information, so anything you have is a bonus.

Many thanks in advance.

Wes.

RIDGWAY, Frank.

KIA 02/04/1916.

Apart from his MIC I have no other service information, so anything you have is a bonus.

Wes...do you know that a good chunk of his service papers are available on ancestry? (even with a little note mentioning him being missing, then, a little later, being declared 'presumed dead')

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, I've read through his service papers on Ancestry, but there is no mention of where he was killed, which is what I am really after.

What was he doing?

Did he die whilst tunnelling, was he killed by a shell, a bullet......?

Also, why isn't he on CWGC?

His nephew is still living in the village, my ma reckons he is about 82 years old (we used to live next door to him until I was 5 years old), maybe I should pay him a visit?

Wes.

Hello Joan,

I wonder if you look up a young Sapper for me please.

RIDGWAY, Frank.

KIA 02/04/1916.

Many thanks in advance.

Wes.

Hello the entry is as follows:

Frank Ridgeway born Wollerton Staffs.

Enlisted Shrewsbury Shropshire. Lived in Market Drayton at time of enlistmentment.

Killed in Action 2/4/16

182nd Tunnelling Company

May not add much more but hope it is of some interest

best wishes

Joan

Thanks for taking the time to look, Joan, but no, nothing I didn't already have.

Que sera, as they say in Rome.

Many Thanks.

Wes.

Already submitted Ridgway's details to the CWGC

Neil

Is this a copy of the RE volume of Soldiers Died in the Great War?

Inniskilling; You can do a search for casualties from any particular RE unit using the search function on the CD-ROM version of SDGW. Probably any reasonably sized reference/family history section in your local library will have a copy.

Headgardener

Thanks for pointing that out

Inniskilling.