The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

info needed

Guest brummiegem

Guest brummiegem

anyone who can help with any info on my grandad ANDREW DEVLIN. born in birmingham englang. thanks in advance brummiegem

You will need to give us at least a little information to go on!

What do you know about him already? Did he serve in the Great War? Was he a soldier, sailor or airman? Did he survive? Where was he from? When was he born?

If you know anything at all about him, tell us. And it would help if you tell us where you got your information from.

Without answers to these questions it will be virtually impossible for anyone to help you.

Regards,

Ken

Guest brummiegem

ken thanks for replying. my grandfather was born in warwickshire in 1877. yes he was a soldier. i was told that he was in the canadian army. i dont know if he was posted to this or it was his idea to go in to this army recently i was told he was in the american army. so i am not sure now at all. yes did survive and came back to birmingham. where he died in the 1950s. im sorry to be so vivid but thats whats so hard knowing where to start. many thanks for trying to help brummiegem

Brummiegem :)

The 1881 English census is online at www.familysearch.org. Have just had a look, and there is an Andrew Devlin, aged 4, complete with family:

Andrew DEVLIN Head M Male 50 Ireland Shoe Maker

Ann DEVLIN Wife M Female 45 Ireland

Mary DEVLIN Daur Female 22 Birm, Warwick, England Press Worker Tinplate

Martin DEVLIN Son Male 16 Birm, Warwick, England Metal Spinner

Hallen DEVLIN Daur Female 10 Birm, Warwick, England

Catherine DEVLIN Daur Female 8 Birm, Warwick, England

John DEVLIN Son Male 6 Birm, Warwick, England

Andrew DEVLIN Son Male 4 Birm, Warwick, England

Dwelling Lancaster St 30C 7

Census Place Birmingham, Warwick, England

Family History Library Film 1341717

Public Records Office Reference RG11

Piece / Folio 3000 / 112

Page Number 34

Now you need to work forward, through the 1891 (on CD) and 1901 (online, you pay) censuses, to find where he was then, and what he was doing. That may give you clues as to which regiment he joined. If you're not sure whether it was Canadian or from the US, you should do a bit more searching first. Did he emigrate? The Canadian attestation papers are online somewhere - but I've forgotten where! Sorry! Perhaps a google search might help?

good luck!

VivP

There appears to be only one Andrew Devlin on the Canadian Archives site. He appears to have been born in 1888 in Lanarkshire, Scotland and served with the 78th Battalion.

Regards

Tim D

• 3 months later...

I have (had?) a great uncle Andrew Devlin born in Blantyre, Lanarkshire in 1885. Emigrated to US/Canada and served with the (I think) American army. Married in Edinburgh on the 4th February 1919 to Eliza Mutter Marshall. Age on the marriage certificate given as 31 which would make year of birth 1888. This contradicts the 1885 given on his birth certificate. Marriage certificate also states that he is a Sergeant in the 18th, (a bit unreadable) but could be "Canadians". Also states "on active service"

Brummigem

Further to Viv's note above, I have found a 14 year old Andrew Devlin in the 1891 census. Some of the names match those of Viv's.

SN