The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

OLD ASCHAM ST. VINCENT’S SCHOOL WAR MEMORIAL

Digger

I am researching this WW1 school memorial and cannot find any information on the two names below. Please could the forum do their usual magic.

Francis Earl Annesley

William Beresford Gossett

Thank you,

Digger

post-4192-1276340025.jpg

The 1911 census has William Beresford Gossett, a. 17 (b. c.1894 in Jamaica) as a schoolboy at Clifton School, Bristol.

From his medal index Card.

W.B Gossett. 2nd Lt. RFA Died 01/11/1914. There is a Jamaican address on it.

Just having a look if he has a CWGC entry.

Here it is http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=446251

Note how is states his cause of death in the secondary regiment field.

Neil

There is no Francis Earl Annesley in the 1911 census, but a Francis, Earl of Annesley, temp. Sub-Lt RNVR, was shot down and killed while piloting seaplane No. 1220 from Eastchurch to Dunkirk, 5 November 1914.

There is no Francis Earl Annesley in the 1911 census, but a Francis, Earl of Annesley, temp. Sub-Lt RNVR, was shot down and killed while piloting seaplane No. 1220 from Eastchurch to Dunkirk, 5 November 1914.

Thank you both for your help, I checked the CWGC but I put the names in with the wrong spelling, and hadn't figured out he Earl bit, assuming it was a name not a title.

Thanks again,

Digger

Perthdigger:

That must be one of the earliest aerial casualties?

Any further details as it would seem he was shot down over the sea, implying something "hostile" in the Channel. I'm sure there is more of a story in this!

There could also be a family connection via the Beresford name:-

There is no Francis Earl Annesley in the 1911 census, but a Francis, Earl of Annesley, temp. Sub-Lt RNVR, was shot down and killed while piloting seaplane No. 1220 from Eastchurch to Dunkirk, 5 November 1914. (OK, I know it's Wiki)

I got the information from: www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1914-11Nov.htm (not Wikipedia).

I got the information from: www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1914-11Nov.htm (not Wikipedia).

Firstly, thanks Perth Digger, what a great site, I'm sure this will help me in the future.

Secondly, need help with HUGH ANTROBUS. Found one Antrobus on the CWGC site, but the christian names are Harry James. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Sorry, PD, obviously didn't paste the correct extract from Wiki, simply the first quote again Doh!

It should have read:

His line of the family failed on the death of his only son, the sixth Earl, who was killed during the First World War. The late Earl was succeeded by his first cousin, the seventh Earl. He was the son of the Hon. William Octavius Beresford Annesley, sixth son of the third Earl

This could be your man, courtesy of The Peerage website:

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus. b. 25 September 1877, d. 25 September 1915

Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus was born on 25 September 1877. He was the son of John Coutts Antrobus and Mary Egida Lindsay. He died on 25 September 1915 at age 38 at France, killed in action. Captain Cecil Hugh Antrobus fought in the Boer War in 1900. He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders. He fought in the First World War between 1914 and 1915.

Sorry, PD, obviously didn't paste the correct extract from Wiki, simply the first quote again Doh!

It should have read:

This could be your man, courtesy of The Peerage website:

Thanks for all help given. I have nearly finished the memorial research, except for the following names, and would appreciate help with further information.

Harry Featherstonehaugh

Edward Hawley

Frank Nairne Maclaren

Edward Barry Maule

George King Molineux

William Reginald Phillips

Also could someone please explain why 3 of the men I have researched were members of the Royal Flying Corps, yet were all attached to Army Regiments.

Digger

In the 1911 Census there's a Harold FETHERSTONEHAUGH (sic), a.17, born Uruguay, at St Wilfred's Catholic College, Oakamoor, Cheadle, Stoke-on-Trent.

Edward Barry MAULE

1911 Census

Son of John Percy Maule, a.56, solicitor, and Constance Louise Elizabeth Maule, a. 53, marriage lasting 28 years with 4 children, all living.

3 children at home, two elder sisters.

EBH: b. Huntingdon c. 1893 (a. 18). Solicitor's articled clerk.

Address: The Views, Huntingdon. 3 servants.

In the 1911 Census there's a Harold FETHERSTONEHAUGH (sic), a.17, born Uruguay, at St Wilfred's Catholic College, Oakamoor, Cheadle, Stoke-on-Trent.

Thanks Perth Digger, I found him.

Thanks Perth Digger, I found him.

Digger

Dick Flory's standing offer to look up public school registers etc could help you with Gossett, if he was at Clifton College, rather than ...School.

Operates under rflory

Daggers

Digger; Perth Digger, Dagger, Doug, Digby and Diggins

Name: MOLINEUX, GEORGE KING

Initials: G K

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northumberland Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 05/05/1915

Additional information: Son of Major Harold Parminter Molineux and Rose Eugenie K. Molineux (nee King), of Isfield Place, Sussex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 8 and 12.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: MAULE, EDWARD BARRY

Initials: E B

Regiment/Service: Royal Flying Corps

Secondary Regiment: Highland Light Infantry

Secondary Unit Text: and 18th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/02/1917

Additional information: Younger son of John Percy Maule, Clerk of the Peace, Hunts County Council and of Mrs. Percy Maule, The Views, Huntingdon. Educated at Acham School, Eastbourne, and at Uppingham.

Grave/Memorial Reference: XV. L. 13.

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

Can't find a suitable match for Frank Nairne MacLaren (most are spelt McLaren, but there is this chap.

Had he been wearing all his medals, he'd have been armour plated....

Name: MERCER-NAIRNE, Lord CHARLES GEORGE FRANCIS

Initials: C G F

Regiment/Service: 1st (Royal) Dragoons

Secondary Unit Text: attd. Staff, 6th Cavalry Brigade

Date of Death: 30/10/1914

Awards: M V O

Additional information: South African Medal (5 Clasps), Legion of Honour (France), Order of Military Merit (Spain), Order of the Crown (Prussia), Order of the Iron Crown Class II (Austria). Equerry-in-Ordinary to King George V when Prince of Wales, 1909-10 and Equerry to His Majesty, 1910-1914. Sometime A.D.C. to Field Marshal Earl Roberts. Son of Henry Charles Keith Petty-Fitzmaurice, 5th Marquess of Lansdowne and of Maud Evelyn, Marchioness of Lansdowne, of Bowood, Calne, Wilts; husband of Lady Violet Mary Astor (formerly Mercer-Nairne).

Grave/Memorial Reference: E1. 10.

Cemetery: YPRES TOWN CEMETERY

No luck so far with Edward Hawley or W R Phillips...

Edward Barry MAULE

1911 Census

Son of John Percy Maule, a.56, solicitor, and Constance Louise Elizabeth Maule, a. 53, marriage lasting 28 years with 4 children, all living.

3 children at home, two elder sisters.

EBH: b. Huntingdon c. 1893 (a. 18). Solicitor's articled clerk.

Address: The Views, Huntingdon. 3 servants.

Again thankyou Perth Digger, found this one to by checking the Huntingdon Memorial, on the Roll of Honour site, which told me which cemetery he was buried in.

Digger; Perth Digger, Dagger, Doug, Digby and Diggins

Name: MOLINEUX, GEORGE KING

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Name: MAULE, EDWARD BARRY

cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

Can't find a suitable match for Frank Nairne MacLaren (most are spelt McLaren, but there is this chap.

No luck so far with Edward Hawley or W R Phillips...

Thanks Kevin, great stuff, Only 3 left now.

Re the Earl of Annesley, the following appeared in The Times

Tuesday, Nov 10, 1914

LORD ANNESLEY MISSING

Information has been received at Newcastle, County Down, that Lord Annesley, who left England for France by aeroplane on Friday has not been heard of since.

Lord Annesley obtained a commission in the Royal Flying Corps at the beginning of the war and has rendered valuable services in recent operations in Belgium. He obtained a few days' leave to visit his home at Castlewellan and returned on Wednesday evening to Sheerness. It is feared that the machine may have been lost or have fallen in the German Lines.

Wednesday, Nov 11, 1914

THE MISSING AIRMEN

LORD ANNESLEY AND FLIGHT LIEUT. BEEVOR

The Secretary of the Admiralty announces that Flight-Lieutenant Charles Francis Beevor R.N., with Sub-Lieutenant Earl Annesley, R.N.V.R., as passenger, left Eastchurch to fly across on Thursday , November 5, The machine never reached her destination. Careful serach has been made with aeroplanes, seaplanes and control ships, but no tidings of the missing airmen have yet been received.

Lieutenant Beevor was a skilful and daring pilot who had been much employed in this war in dangerous enterprises, and who had also seen service in the Balkan War. His loss - if it proves so - with that of Lord Annesley, will be keenly felt by the officers and men of the Naval Wing.

Friday, Jan 15, 1914

THE LATE LORD ANNESLEY

PROBATE APPLICATION IN DUBLIN

An application was made to Mr Justice Madden in the Probate Court, Dublin, yesterday, on behalf of Hugh William Armitage Moore, of Castlewellan, County Down, for liberty to aply for probate of the will, dated September 16, 19019, and codicil of Lord Annesley, of Castlewellan, and to presume the death of the testator.

The applicant in an affidavit set out that in the margin of the will there appeared the word:- "I also bequeath to my wife , the Countess Annesley, The Huts, Newcastle, County Down, and all its contents." The sentences was in the testator's handwriting, but was not initialled. The affidavit also stated that in September, 1914, the testator, when about to go on active service in France, made a codicil to the will, in which after making certain legacies, he confirmed the will in all other respects. Lord Annesley received a commission in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve (Air Department). In November he and Flight Lieutenant Beevor, R.N., left Eastchurch in an aeroplane for Dunkirk, but the never reached their destination. Afterwards some German prisoners stated that in the beginning of November a biplane with two Englishmen was brought down over the German lines near Lille, and that both airmen had been killed.

Mr. Justice Madden said that on the evidence it was only too certain that the testator had lost his life in the service of his country. with regard to the granting of probate, he referred the matter to the Registrar for consideration of the documents.

It looks likely that, living there, he might appear in the Irish census, although from the Court Circulars of around that time (also from The Times), his wife, Countess Annesley, seems to have spent a lot of time in England. There is also an entry for him in De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour as 'Annesley, Francis, 6th Earl')

NigelS

Went back to the memorial and it now has the panels restored, so easy to see and the name is MacLaran, so have now found him. Thanks for the help, now only 2 to sort out.

Digger

Re the Earl of Annesley, the following appeared in The Times

]De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour [/i]as 'Annesley, Francis, 6th Earl')

NigelS

[/quote

Just the sort of thing I wanted, thanks so much Nigel.

Digger

FEATHERSTONHAUGH, HARRY

Initials: H

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/07/1916

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 8 C 9 A and 16 A.

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Regards

Pam

Could this be Edward Hawley born 1st Feb 1893, Darlington, Co Durham went to Canada in 1909. Was the son of Cecil Edward Hawley. In 1901 He was boarding at a private School in Worksop. His grandfather had been the Vicar of Worksop.

HAWLEY, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: Canadian

Regiment/Service: Canadian Infantry (Alberta Regiment)

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/04/1917

Service No: 184236

Memorial: VIMY MEMORIAL

Enlisted at Red Deer on 29th March 1916

Farmer

Had spent 2 years in the OTC in England

NOK Mother Melina Hawley

Pitcox

Alberta

Canada

Regards

Pam

PHILLIPPS, REGINALD WILLIAM

Initials: R W

Regiment/Service: Grenadier Guards

Unit Text: King's Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/10/1915

Additional information: Son of Mr. W. W. G. and Mrs. F. M. Phillipps, of Berwick House, Berwick, Shrewsbury. Educated at St. Vincents, Eastbourne. Eton and Magdalene College, Cambridge.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. J. 3.

Cemetery: VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY

Regards

Pam

How helpful of the Phillipps family to actually include St Vincents!!

Why couldn't the others have done that? Didn't they think that in 100 years or so that would be needed? No consideration, some people!

Also could someone please explain why 3 of the men I have researched were members of the Royal Flying Corps, yet were all attached to Army Regiments.

Didn't see this had been answered, so, before an expert tells you, I believe that the RFC was actually a part of the British Army and not until 1st April 1918 was it a separate arm, like the Royal Navy.

Therefore most hofficers were horiginally in harmy hunits prior to being "seconded" to the RFC....

Enjoyed the quest, hope the info is what you wanted.