The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

OLD ASCHAM ST. VINCENT’S SCHOOL WAR MEMORIAL

Digger

How helpful of the Phillipps family to actually include St Vincents!!

Why couldn't the others have done that? Didn't they think that in 100 years or so that would be needed? No consideration, some people!

Didn't see this had been answered, so, before an expert tells you, I believe that the RFC was actually a part of the British Army and not until 1st April 1918 was it a separate arm, like the Royal Navy.

Therefore most hofficers were horiginally in harmy hunits prior to being "seconded" to the RFC....

Enjoyed the quest, hope the info is what you wanted.

Thanks for this, I didn't know that this was the way it was, always thought RFA was a separate service right from the start and it just changed the name to the RAF.

I have learnt so much from the forum and as usual they have come up trumps with the information I needed. I will be sending the photos and information to the Roll of Honour website. So thanks to all of you.

Could this be Edward Hawley born 1st Feb 1893, Darlington, Co Durham went to Canada in 1909. Was the son of Cecil Edward Hawley. In 1901 He was boarding at a private School in Worksop. His grandfather had been the Vicar of Worksop.

Thanks for your help Pam, not sure if this is the rght one, though to date it is the only one. Edward is the only name left for me to complete on the memorial research. The other names were correct. I was working from an old list as the panels on the memorial were not clear, however they have been repaired and it is easy to see that the list I had had many spelling mistakes. Still now almost complete and all thanks to members of the forum.

Digger:

Can't find a suitable match for Frank Nairne MacLaren (most are spelt McLaren, but there is this chap.

Went back to the memorial and it now has the panels restored, so easy to see and the name is MacLaran, so have now found him

Put me out of my misery! I can't find a MacLarAn....!

As all these appear to be officers, they were obviously well connected, and agree about Private Edward Hawley as being the exception. I can see though that being the son of a Vicar might have financial constraints, perhaps his father was on the School books as Chaplain etc?

I appreciate that there can be spelling variations (Phillips) but Edward is hard to mistranscribe!

However, if this is not a Roll of Honour for men KILLED, but who SERVED, then he may be a brother to

Name: HAWLEY, CYRIL FRANCIS

Initials: C F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/11/1914

Additional information: Son of Sir Henry Hawley, 5th Bart., and Lady Hawley; husband of Ursula Mary Hawley, of 14, Stafford Place, Buckingham Gate, London, S.W. Served in the South African Campaign.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 51 and 53.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Otherwise Private Hawley looks to be your man...

Don't think Edward Hawley is a brother of Cyril Francis Hawley he had two brothers and three sisters. Cyril's brothers were Sir Henry Cussack Wingfield Hawley and Michael Charles Hawley.

The Edward Hawley in CEF' s father was Cecil Edward Hawley born circa 1857 Nottingham at the time of the 1881 Census he was a boarder (Scholar) at The Grange, Eastbourne, Sussex. In 1891 folowing his marriage to Eliza Mellena Williams he is living in Toxteth, Liverpool occupation bridge builder in iron. Further back the grandfather was Vicar of Worksop.

The father seems to have been an associate Member of the Institute of Civil Engineers from 5th Dec 1893. Also apears to have worked in Australia at some time as Senior Assistant engineer second in command of the Trans Continental Railway Kalgoorlie section.

Don't know if any of that helps.

Regards

Pam

There's a bit more info on the loss of the Earl of Annesley & Beevor in the Flight archive (search using 'Annesley' & date range 1914-1915 ); mostly it's a repeat of what appeared in The Times but This gives that their plane was brought down near Dixmude in flames when a 'shell apparently struck the petrol tank'

NigelS

• 2 weeks later...

There are also some very sweet pictures of Francis Annesley, 6th Earl Annesley on the National Portrait Gallery website at about the age he would have been at school in Eastbourne, in his best clothes. I did a bit of research on him last year with the other three naval officers on the Ascham Memorial Arch (because he started out in the navy), but I've come in too late and you've found everything I found about him, apart from this! Of course he's really in the wrong place among the soldiers here...

Liz

• 4 months later...

Hi

Would you be happy to send me a full list of those commemorated on the Memorial to remembering@btinternet.com

Many thanks

Wilhelm