The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

New On-line Archive

DirtyDick

Hello All

I was reading in the Daily Telegraph this morning that the CWGC has awarded The Stationery Office a £1.6 million commission to put a large number of WW1 & WW2 documents on-line. (Some mention was made of 1.7 million docs.)

The article was none too specific as to what would be on-line, but it seems to include letters sent to and from deceased servicemen (incl. Rupert Brook etc.) and official memoranda concerning their burials. However, it is anticipated to take at least five years to complete so may very well take longer.

Cheers

Richard

Guest Pete Wood

If correct, this is extraordinarily good news. Because this is outside of the CWGC's charter and suggests, to me, that the CWGC is moving forward into raising its profile - and possibly utilising some of its information in exchange for revenue.

I say this, as I assume that we (the public) will have to pay to see such docs online....??

Either way, it is good news all round.

And £1 a document seems like a pretty good deal to me......

Hello RT

The article was pretty vague as to contents and such big deals often go way over budget and time. Might be ready by 2010? It didn't say whether they would introduce the pieces as an when they were done or en masse at the end: I assume that it would be the former.

Anyway, the half-page article's in today's (Monday) Daily Telegraph newspaper if anyone wants to read it in full.

Cheers

Richard

• 3 months later...