The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Stretchers - Head first or Feet first

pietro

This is probably a silly question, but I think there is/was probably a rule.

When rescuing a casualty on a stretcher are they carried head or feet first. Looking online its head first upstairs and feet first downstairs. Was there a WW1 RAMC rule?

TIA

Peter

Well ive seen both ie in a hurry but should be head first.

MC

I've seen contemporary diagrams on the building of trenches and dugouts etc that show how enough room needed to be left to allow stretchers to get round bends, traverses etc - in them the little figure on the stretcher is always travelling head first

Feet first the rear carrier (s) can then look for any signs of distress in the casualty.

Maybe we should get the expert Adviser out for RAMC to give his answer ......Il just be on my way now :D :D

MC

Feet first.

achonvillers has it correctly. I used to teach casuality care and taught litter bearers to carry the casualty head first as the rear carrier or carriers were "in charge" and were to watch the head for any signs of distress.

DrB

Makes perfect sense.. I've learnt something new today.

Neil

Maybe we should get the expert Adviser out for RAMC to give his answer ......Il just be on my way now :D :D

MC

You mean there is another one?

We will just Pm the other expert and ask for a second opinion ....If you haven't gathered i like the adviser idea but alas it does look like its going to be a goer. :D

There you go... I asked a stupid question and now we're headed for Classic Threads.... :-)

Peter

There is no Stupid Questions just too many Experts.... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

MC

Casualties are of course placed head first into the ambulance.

achonvillers has it correctly. I used to teach casuality care and taught litter bearers to carry the casualty head first as the rear carrier or carriers were "in charge" and were to watch the head for any signs of distress.

DrB

While in the TA, because I was ever so slightly smaller than the rest of them, I was the guy tied to the stretcher and hoisted, lowered, carried and dropped all over the drill hall and a variety of unlikely places. I was generally hoisted head first, lowered feet first and carrying seemed to vary. Your instructions make a lot of sense and I suspect were the rule which was sometimes broken. When and where did the idea of being carried out " feet first" start to mean dead or unconscious?

DrB

Which is exctly the opposite of what he said which was feet first

Someone should tell these guys they are doing it wrong

post-9885-1276887209.jpg

I think the general rule is head first if they are alive, feet first otherwise (as any undertaker can confirm), but I take the point about stairs i.e. head at the upper end whichever way you are going.

Ron

Having looked at a number of photos there appears to be a 50:50 split as to the direction of the 'victim' One thing is pretty common though - it seems to have been usually four bearers rather than two (see this classic shot http://wwii.ca/photos/vimy/vimy_3.jpg ] with the stretcher on the shoulders in the majority of cases

Well the old empathy is setting in - if you were on a stretcher which way would you want to be carried? Assuming you were comfortable enough to care, of course.

Peter

Well the old empathy is setting in - if you were on a stretcher which way would you want to be carried? Assuming you were comfortable enough to care, of course.

Peter

Is that empathy or apathy?

RAMC TRAINING 1911: [p.147]

Carriage of a Patient: patient is usually carried feet first, but in going uphill the position is reversed, and the patient is carried headfirst. To do this the bearers will lower the stretcher and turn about. If the patient is suffering from a recent fracture of the lower extremity he will, in all cases, be carried with his head down hill. The stronger and taller bearers should be down hill.

Grant

Not exactly to do with which way the head should be, but I'm just getting into Bmac's 'Pro Patria Mori' and he mentions a casualty being brought out of the trenches supported by sandbags under his knees and armpits, because a stretcher couldn't be used, and it took five hours to get him out. FIVE HOURS!? Heaven alone knows what condition the bearers were in after that, never mind the poor casualty.

Feet first; no other way.

Unfortunately the photographic evidence does not support this

Two more http://mp.natlib.govt.nz/image/?imageId=im...;profile=access

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/3335998.j...3AA0CF64F13FC89

It does look as if there was an arbitrary 50:50 split over this in all armies