The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt William Brown Cambs Regt & MGC

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Ian;Thank You!Sadly Ive nothing on him!

Cliff no doubt will?

Thought So!! Excellent

He's not a recipient of any medals beyond Service ones...

William Joseph Brown, 10 Haymarket Rd, Cambridge. enlisted 1911 in 1st Cambs, as No 1235, B coy (eight coy system). To Western Front with 1/1st Cambs on 14-2-15 as a machine gunner in A coy (four coy system). Invalided home with rheumatism in March 1915. Later posted to MGC at Grantham.

Guest Pete Wood
William Joseph Brown, 10 Haymarket Rd, Cambridge. enlisted 1911 in 1st Cambs, as No 1235, B coy (eight coy system). To Western Front with 1/1st Cambs on 14-2-15 as a machine gunner in A coy (four coy system). Invalided home with rheumatism in March 1915. Later posted to MGC at Grantham.

That is seriously impressive!! :)

A 14/15 Star to be precise inscribed with his Cambs Regt details - I wonder where they are?

Ian

Do You Have This?If so Id Be Extremely interested?

Cheers Roger.

Ian,

Anything you can add from his diary would be gratefully received.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Cliff,

I have a postcard addressed to him at Clipstone - I will try and post it tonight but I have a late finish this evening so don't hold your breath!!

Ian

Guest Ian Bowbrick

No problems - I am at home at the moment recovering from food poisoning and catching up with things - details of the restuarant available on request!!

Ian,

The reference to your William Joseph Brown (No 1235) being invalided with rheumatism appeared in the Cambridge Daily News 25-3-15.

A Pte W J Brown next appears in a photo of seven 1/1st Cambs Rgt machine gunners, taken in France, which appeared in the Cambridge Independent Press 1-10-15. If this is the same man, it would indicate he returned to the battalion, but it could be 3044 W J Brown. I have a library photocopy and the man might be your man, but with no moustache, so it's difficult to draw a conclusion.

A soldier called Walter J Brown (No 3044 Cambs Rgt), son of Mr & Mrs J Brown, 29 Catherine St, Cambridge, transferred from the Cambs Rgt to the 118th Brigade MGC, 39th Div, when the machine gun company was formed. The batch of men from the Cambs Rgt were in the number group 21926 to 21965, with W J Brown given 21936. He became a Cpl. As Cpl Brown, he was wounded on 31-7-17. The 21936 man was discharged to Class Z on 21-2-1919.

Your W J Brown was eventually given the new MGC number 55068 and ended up at Catterick, which fits with your March 1918 postcard.

A bit of confusion, which I will look into in my original notes and get back to you. Might be a case of seeing if the service records survive. Does your photo album have other pix, which might give me a clue?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Cliff,

Not really. There is one other of him standing outside the NCOs mess at Clipstone - the others are Battlefield scenes and some silks, which are not written on.

Ian

Ian

I didn't realise that Mrs B was of an age to have been sending postcards to service men in 1918 :ph34r:

Steve

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Steve,

When I saw this late last night I shouted up to Mrs B, who was upstairs at the time - 'You know that nice man who pays for our holidays, he says you've been writing to WW1 soldiers'

I couldn't quite make out her reply.......erm.......'Tell him...something...off' I believe was the answer. ;)

Ian :lol: