The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

History of the 14th Battalion AIF - Wanliss

moggs

Having read through this wonderful account a number of times at the SLV and having purchased the facsimile version from Regimental press I finally found and bought an original copy. I am so thrilled at this I just had to tell the world - well, at least all of you fine people.

It's in wonderful condition and has an inscription from the author to a previous owner - R.E.Kneale - written on the inside front cover in 1946 (Book was published in 1929.)

EG Kneale 337 was an original member of the 14th KIA at Gallipoli 7th August 1915. He was 22 at enlistment and came from Armadale. RE Kneale may have been a brother but was not the father (He was a W Kneale).

Fascinating how such things are found - I now wonder where the family is and hope they got something out of the book - even if financially (I paid a lot of money!)

I, though, will treasure the book and will ensure it is kept it in the family.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

So glad to see you’ve now got an original copy of the 14th Bn History (I’m afraid I’m sticking with my facsimile copy!)

Intrigued by the inscription to R.E. Kneale – I thought I’d do a little exploration on the family (as you’re probably aware by now, I can’t help myself!!)

Anyway, I can’t tell you for sure who R.E. was – but I can give you one possibility.

It definitely wasn’t a brother, as Edward (E.G.) only had 2 (surviving) – and one of those, William lost his life in 1917, the other was Norman – who possibly had a child R.E., but this I haven’t been able to establish.

The possibility I refer to is Edward’s cousin Ronald Edmond Kneale, who served during WW2. Ronald’s father (Edward’s uncle) was also an R.E. – but Robert Edwin died in 1943, 3 years before the inscription. Ronald was born 7 years after Edward’s death, and may have grown up with the fascination that his cousin had fallen at Lone Pine, Gallipoli – which could easily have created a huge impression on a young boy (my own father would attest to this!)

Newton Wanliss was the principal speaker for the Jacka Pilgrimage held at the St Kilda Cemetery on the 20th January 1946 – and perhaps as this was a couple of weeks after Ronald was discharged, he also attended, and had his book signed by the author………….

Anyway, below are the details I gathered on the family. You may find the verses written by Edward’s mother particularly interesting, or should I say, moving! (I certainly did)

William KNEALE married Hanorah / Honorah / Hannah (aka Nanno) KENNEALY in 1891

William died April 1924 (son of Edward & Ann, nee Keefe) & Hanorah died 22 Jul 1928, they are buried together in the Springvale Cemetery. (C of E, J 5 38)

Children:

1. Edward Gerald b.1892 Kooroman (renamed Leongatha) – 337, 14th Bn KIA 7/8/15

2. William Bernard b.1893 Leongatha – 3318, 5th Bn DOW 13/2/17 France (AWM photo)

3. Norman Henry b.c1897 – marr. Veronica Elizabeth KING in 1922 – d. Oct 1963, Melb, age 66 – buried Springvale (Simmons Lawn DR 68), with his wife (d.1972)

4. Laurence John b.&d.1901 Leongatha

Death notice in The Argus 1917 for William, also mentions Edward, and is concluded with:

“My noble boys, Eddie & Willie”

The Argus, Sat 5 Aug 1922:

IN MEMORIAM

KNEALE – In sad but loving memory of our dear sons, Lance-Corpl Edward Gerald, killed in action 7th August 1915 Lone Pine, Gallipoli, loved brother of the late Sergeant William Bernard, died of wounds received in action in France, 13th February 1917; the two dearly loved sons of William and Honorah Kneale, of Malvern, and brothers of Norman.

Somewhere in scattered trench or shell-swept plain,

Or riven fields that shrink as if in pain,

Where not a tear nor prayer can trace his name-less grave

Is lost and lain my Eddy, who fell somewhere

Far away on the battlefields of France

‘Neath a little wooden cross

Lies my Willie, so dear to me.

Oh! Boys, I have watched you grow from childhood days

Till manhood’s sun was set, and in the twilight days

Your unseen presence is near to me

Ever remembered.

(Mother)

The Argus, Sat 13 Feb 1926:

IN MEMORIAM

On Active Service

KNEALE – In sad but loving memory of my dear sons, Sergeant William Bernard, died of wounds received in action in France, 13th February, 1917, loved brother of the late Lance-Corporal Edward Gerald, killed in action, Lone Pine, Gallipoli, 7th August 1915, the two dearly loved sons of the late William and Hannah Kneale, and brothers of Norman.

Rest in peace.

It was not the tears at the moment shed

When the sad news reached me from the battlefields,

‘Tis the tears through those long bitter years wept,

My life by their loss is shaded.

Yet I know it is vain to weep,

That tears of love shall never wake them

From that deep and dreamless sleep.

Ever remembered.

(Mother)

William’s brother Robert Edwin d.1943, age 67 (son of Edward & Ann, nee Keefe) – his body was found in the Yarra River near Fisherman’s Bend on the 25th April, having been missing for nearly a week.

Robert Kneale was buried 27/4/1943 Springvale Cemetery – Simmons Lawn DL 61

His wife May Annie Kneale was buried 12/8/1952 as above (age 72)

The Argus, Tue 12 Aug 1952:

KNEALE, May – On August 11, 223 Canterbury road, Canterbury, beloved wife of the late Robert Kneale, loved mother of William (deceased), Alice, Herbert, Alma, Myrtle, Beatrice and Ronald, loving grandma of Norma, Judith, Barbara, Beverley, and Trevor. At rest.

Ronald Edmond KNEALE – b.23/11/1922 Richmond – d.24/7/2005, age 82 & was cremated at the Springvale Cem

WW2, RAAF 438254, enlisted 10/9/1943 – discharged 7/1/1946, a Warrant Officer with 9 Aircrew Holding Unit. (NOK, mother May Kneale, also sister Myrtle)

[Flight Sergeant Kneale was injured in an accident on a night training flight on the 7th (or 8th) February 1945 at Gilmorton, Leicestershire, England. Overshot & crashed whilst landing, due to faulty aircraft (Wellington Bomber) – he ordered his crew to crash positions and all were unscathed, but he suffered a scalp wound and contusions to face & nose, and bruising on right shoulder.]

Sorry I got a little carried away (as usual) :rolleyes: - but let me know if you find out anything more on the Kneale's won't you.

And enjoy re-reading your book over and over again.

Cheers, Frev

Oh, that's brilliant Frev. You are a marvel!!! Of course, I just knew you couldn't help yourself. Actually I was rather hoping you might do some digging - I'm right in the middle of reports at school and my mind is elsewhere.

My gut feeling is that the book belonged to the family but it was Ronald who met Newton Wanliss in 1946. It makes sense that the book became available only recently if he died in 2005. I don't know when the dealer got the book but I do know it was sitting there for at least a year - I saw it there last September.

Still, I will do some more digging soon. It's always good to have other links.

Thank you

Jonathan