The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Bairnsfather - Bullets and Billets

Jonathan D'Hooghe

Staying with a friend last weekend, i was looking through some books in an old bookcase and I found a 1916 edition of Bullets and Billets by Bruce Bairnsfather. I am now in the process of enjoying this thoroughly good read having borrowed the book.

I don't know if the owner would consider selling it as it belonged to his late father but if he was of a mind to let me buy it - what is it worth please?

Thanks

Jonathan

It was published that year so might be a first edition. Also available free on the web

Jonathon

My 1916 edition cost me £25 some years ago. The equally readable, value for money reprint Bairnsfather Omnibus from Great Northern Publishing, cost me the paltry sum of £9.99 new.

Garth

I bought all 6 or so volumes (can't remember exaclty how many) for about 120 quid just before xmas, all in near mint condition too :D I have two rather tatty copies, all the pictures falling out etc. I plan to seperate totally and frame for my hall :D

EDIT: Can't check as they're in store at the mo' (the ones I have may not be bullets and billets, sorry, just checked online), and few have pictures on these ABE sites, is this the collection of cartoons with the purple, green etc covers?

Tom

I bought all 6 or so volumes (can't remember exaclty how many) for about 120 quid just before xmas, all in near mint condition too :D I have two rather tatty copies, all the pictures falling out etc. I plan to seperate totally and frame for my hall :D

EDIT: Can't check as they're in store at the mo' (the ones I have may not be bullets and billets, sorry, just checked online), and few have pictures on these ABE sites, is this the collection of cartoons with the purple, green etc covers?

Tom

I suspect that you are thinking of 'Fragments From France'. Not the same thing as 'Bullets and Billets'.

Garth

Thanks for all the replies. The book has an orangey/red cover and contains photo plates as well as sketches and covers his time in France from 1914 to 1915 inc the Christmas 1914 fraternisation episode.

Thanks for all the replies. The book has an orangey/red cover and contains photo plates as well as sketches and covers his time in France from 1914 to 1915 inc the Christmas 1914 fraternisation episode.

If it has an original dust jacket with "5/-" on the base of the spine then you are talking £150.

M

• 3 years later...

I am trying to confirm the date of the first edition. I have a copy published in December 1916, but have a sneaking suspicion that this is a reprint. Can anyone confirm that please.

Keith

I am trying to confirm the date of the first edition. I have a copy published in December 1916, but have a sneaking suspicion that this is a reprint. Can anyone confirm that please.

Keith

According to Mark Marsay in his 'Bairnsfather Omnibus' it was first published in December 1916.

That's looking good then. Thanks for looking it up. I had been unable to find any confirmation on the net.

Keith

I can confirm the 1st says Dec. 1916 on the verso of the half-title. Interestingly on the inside flap of the jacket it says "A limited edition de luxe is in preparation. It will be printed on hand-made paper, signed & with an original drawing by the author. £5.5s" i wonder if it was ever produced? The drawing alone would be worth a pretty penny now.

Thanks again. Now if only it had a jacket... No matter, it's in pretty good condition so I have to be pleased with my purchase.

Keith

Thanks again. Now if only it had a jacket... No matter, it's in pretty good condition so I have to be pleased with my purchase.

Keith

I think you need to upgrade your copy. There's one on ABE for only £650 or £950 if you want it signed.

I'll just have to get by I think. I'm not sure how I'll manage.

Keith